Best at Home Filter ????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to this hobby! I see all this talk about filtering the wine. When in the process should it be filtered? I am Using a juice kit!

Since you are new to winemaking, I wouldn't get too anxious to filter. Wine will clear on its own eventually. Some clear faster than others. And using clearing agents will do a very good job. Sparkolloid, Super Clear KC, and bentonite are all good.
Filtering just makes the wine a bit "more clear". Not at all a requirement unless you are taking it to a judging contest.
Careful racking every 3 months or so will get you a very fine product.
Welcome to the hobby. But be aware. It can be very addictive!!!:i

Thank you all for your suggestions. I have much to learn and this definately helps with my mission. All of these are excellent suggestions.

Since you are new to winemaking, I wouldn't get too anxious to filter. Wine will clear on its own eventually. Some clear faster than others. And using clearing agents will do a very good job. Sparkolloid, Super Clear KC, and bentonite are all good.
Filtering just makes the wine a bit "more clear". Not at all a requirement unless you are taking it to a judging contest.
Careful racking every 3 months or so will get you a very fine product.
Welcome to the hobby. But be aware. It can be very addictive!!!:i

ETREMELY addictive..... Thats all I think about is making more.

I just ordered a whole house filter. I was wondering if there were any links floating around for some sort of reusable filters.

btom2004 said:
I just ordered a whole house filter. I was wondering if there were any links floating around for some sort of reusable filters.

I believe there is a post on the review of the Allinonewinepump which have links for the absolute filters that are sold at McMaster Carr

If u rinse them well with hot water and sanitizer then store them in sanitizer u can get several uses out of the filter that home depot sells for the whole house filter about $10 for a 2 pack

I did call Home Depot - those filters have a micron rating of 10 microns without going carbon

I would personally go with filter fast. I personally do not reuse my filters as they are soo cheap and I do not possibly want to ruin a whole batch of wine. So I will filter several carboys at one time to save on filters and toss it when done

Latest posts

Back