bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green_Acres

Reaction score
I been watching the video on the wine maker toy dot com, all the wine he made that I watch add bentonite, none of the recipe call for bentonite that I made. is this something that is just for kits, how do you know when to add it or not? :slp

It's up to the winemaker really. Some use it, some don't. I use it with good results. Use it at the beginning of making a wine for best outcome.

Yep I do the same. Just another step to make better wine. I use it in the primary in all of my Juice and fruit wines.

I also use it in primary as it aids in the drop of the heavier solids so you dont transfer over so much and drop it in the carboy. It also aids in clearing a wine in the act of eliminating a protein haze just like Pectic enzyme aids in preventing a pectin haze. It can also be used at the end as a final fining agent and is a little more gentle on a white win e or light fruit wine.

thank, this is a great place for leaning about wine making, I learn more in the few week then the two yrs of try er.

Tom, Wade: Gentlemen, bentonite during primary fermentation? I tried to work that out in my head, but now I need a glass of wine. :)

That seems a bit counter-intuitive, as you've added tannin, pectic enzyme, etc... all these chemicals are floating in the must and working away at their jobs.

If I add bentonite, doesn't it latch onto these chemicals as well as fruit particles?

How much bentonite do you use? Is there a rule of thumb for its use in primary fermentation?

Nope look what Wade said above.
Many kit manufactures also include bentonite in their kits and say to add in primary.

Those chemicals like pectin you add are water soluable, solids are not. Those chemicals are only floating around in your wine if you dont stir them in correctly. You really should dissolve them in some warm water or must first before adding them. 2 tsp per 5 or 6 gallon batch is the recomended dosage.

Nope look what Wade said above.
Many kit manufactures also include bentonite in their kits and say to add in primary.

I know the two movie I watch on winemaker toy they add the bentonite in the primary, that what got me to ask the question,

on more, I been going to make SK pee with my primary setment, will this mess up the SK pee??

Latest posts

Back