Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone out there use bentonite as a clearing agent? I dread the thought of having to mix it. It gets so clumpy despite adding the smallest amounts to warm water constantly mixing. If I let it sit overnight it seems to convert to a slurry. Any thoughts on this product. Also recently read it may strip color from red wine.

Anyone out there use bentonite as a clearing agent? I dread the thought of having to mix it. It gets so clumpy despite adding the smallest amounts to warm water constantly mixing. If I let it sit overnight it seems to convert to a slurry. Any thoughts on this product. Also recently read it may strip color from red wine.
I’ve only used it in the handful of white wine I’ve made.
I’ve found a good way to make a good slurry is to have it measured and ready to go, add an appropriate amount of boiling water to a blender, turn it on low and slowly but steadily add it to the water, let it run for 20-30 seconds and turn off and let it sit for 20 minutes then blend it well. I read that method somewhere and it works pretty well.

I’ve seen different dose suggestions. What is half in your opinion?
In my 2020 Sauvignon Blanc, I used 4 tsp, probably based upon package direction. For the 2022 Elderberry, I used 3 tsp.

For reds? 1-1/2 to 2 tsp. I have found that in general, a lower dosage of fining agents works well.

Just to be clear. This measurement is slurry not the powder.
No. The full dosage I've been using is 4 tsp bentonite powder for 5 to 6 gallons of wine; a half-dose is 2 tsp powder. The volume of the slurry will depend on the amount of water used to produce it.

Latest posts

Back