Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first started wine making with kits, they always included bentonite to clear the wine. Now I buy buckets of fresh juice and usually leave the wine in carboys for 11-12 months. Would there be any advantage for me to put some bentonite in my juice at the start of fermentation?

Tganks
WV

I understand that bentonite can interfere with pectic enzymes, so the addition should be after the enzymes have done their work. Bentonite can also degrade color in red wines, so use lower doses in order to preserve color.

I always add bentonite to whites during fermentation. The churning helps grabs proteins and drop them.

I understand that bentonite can interfere with pectic enzymes, so the addition should be after the enzymes have done their work. Bentonite can also degrade color in red wines, so use lower doses in order to preserve color.

I always add bentonite to whites during fermentation. The churning helps grabs proteins and drop them.
Would your belief hold true for fresh juice or just pressed fruit. At what point do enzymes complete their work.

Would your belief hold true for fresh juice or just pressed fruit. At what point do enzymes complete their work.

The enzymes are pretty fast. I give them 24 hours or so. The benefits of adding bentonite to a fermenting wine are when it is a rolling active fermentation. That's usually 2-3 days after you pitch the yeast, which gives plenty of time for the enzymes to get the job done before you add the bentonite.

The enzymes are pretty fast. I give them 24 hours or so. The benefits of adding bentonite to a fermenting wine are when it is a rolling active fermentation. That's usually 2-3 days after you pitch the yeast, which gives plenty of time for the enzymes to get the job done before you add the bentonite.
Ok. I think I will try that. I am assuming it is safe for reds as well?

Ok. I think I will try that. I am assuming it is safe for reds as well?
Yes it is fine for reds. The package should prescribe doses. Less should be used for red wine to avoid stripping it of color. About 1g per gallon is sufficient for red wines.

Yes it is fine for reds. The package should prescribe doses. Less should be used for red wine to avoid stripping it of color. About 1g per gallon is sufficient for red wines.

Last question on the topic. Do you mix with warm water first?
The directions on the package says 4 tsp per five gallons. Is that too much?

Last question on the topic. Do you mix with warm water first?
The directions on the package says 4 tsp per five gallons. Is that too much?
That is about 1g/L which is ok for whites but high for reds. I would only use 1 tsp for the 5 gallons.

You'll want to mix it into 50ml (1/4 cup) warm water, make sure there are no clumps and let it sit for 2 hours so the clay can swell. Then add it to your juice/wine.

Some folks find that Bentonite increases their losses at racking fairly substantially due to "fluffy lees".
I find this to be true. My guess would be an extra bottle of loss from the Bentonite, but maybe a bit less.
The most effective way to use Bentonite is at the beginning of fermentation. Using it this way requires a smaller amount, and so contributes less to the fluffy lees.
My approach is to avoid Bentonite if I'm planning to age (3+ months post fermentation).
If I'm in a hurry (rare), I will use it to achieve clarity more quickly.

Latest posts

Back