Bentonite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuz

Reaction score
Are there different kinds of bentonite or just different ways of using it. When I used it with Festa juice I simply stirred in the powder. Then I read you should boil the bentonite in water then mix it in a blender before stirring into the wine.

Always mix with hot water and then add to the wine must. Boiling is not required. You create a slurry and then stir that into your wine. Normally within about a week it's done it's job. You can wait longer but unless the wine is fermenting there normally isn't a need to wait.

Bentonite was th first thing I ever researched outside of my “k-meta&yeast” comfort zone. I stressed over ordering either “speedy bentonite” or regular bentonite. Turns out they were the same. And both required mixing w/boiling water into a mud slurry before adding.
I didn’t read anything anywhere about adding powder directly. But I also never read to use in the way that every single kit seems to instruct either.
I Believe your correct with the 2nd thought. Not different types just MANY different ways

Are there different kinds of bentonite or just different ways of using it. When I used it with Festa juice I simply stirred in the powder. Then I read you should boil the bentonite in water then mix it in a blender before stirring into the wine.
Bentonite is nothing more than a type of clay.. i dissolve it with cold water or some of your wine and pour in to the main batch. It can take a while for it to settle. Have you tried isinglass, used it last week my wine is almost clear. And you dont use much.

Bentonite is a clay mix like you mix cornstarch a little water at a time till thin then pour in the batch.

The physical form differs, however. The little sachets of bentonite that come with kits are a fine power that is easy to whisk into water. The bentonite I bought from my LHBS was much more coarse, and requires more effort to introduce without clumping. (The bentonite that you cat pees into is even coarser!)

Alan

going to try the isinglass after the bentonite. From what I read one is negatively charged and one is positive. The isinglass alone works well with whites but a good follow up in reds. That's what I read online. going to try it

As with ALL fining agents, you should read about the product before using. Some of the fining agents strip out color and/or flavor from the wine. Time is the only fining agent I know that has never received a bad report from anyone and it's pretty reliable if the wine must was prepared right in the first place.

Latest posts

Back