Bentonite question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M38A1

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a double batch of blueberry Dragons Blood a few weeks ago. When it came time to rack out of primary fermentation I wound up with three carboys (two five gallon and one three gallon). After sitting the requisite period of time, I added per directions bentonite to one, sparkloid to one and a packaged (sp) cheetosan/keilosol package. The bentonite stripped out a ton of color (it's now a sort of plum red) and it's still cloudy compared to the other two which are dark blue/purpleish and clear as a bell. All done at the same time.

What's the general thought on 1) what happened, and 2) how to clear it?

Thanks-

I use bentonite with blueberry and all my wines and have never had any color loss of note.
Perhaps the cloudy material that the bentonite captured and dropped out was contributing to the darker color that's thee only thing I can think of.

Not sure why the bentonite is taking so long but as far a color goes if that batch is still cloudy it might be do to the particulates in suspension. A clear wine is going to be darker do to less light refraction. My guess would be once it does clear the color will be the same.

Latest posts

Back