Quantcast

Bentonite question

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

jayhkr

Reaction score
I purchased some bentonite from my local brew shop (www.bacchus-barleycorn.com) and the directions we're to mix 1oz bentonite to 20oz boiling water. 20oz seems like a lot compared to other bentonite instructions saying to add 1-2 tsp per gallon. Just wanted to see if this sounds right to everyone.

Thank you.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
I haven't done the math, but 2 tsp/gallon seems like a lot LESS concentrated than 1 oz./20 oz water. I doubt there are 3 oz in a tsp!

jayhkr

Reaction score
I didn't phrase the question properly.....my instructions say to add the entire 20oz of mixture into my carboy, while I've seen other instructions use 1oz bentonite to 1/2 cup water and only add 2-3 tsp per gallon (vs putting in the entire 1/2 cup). I just think that 2.5 cups seems like a lot and I don't want the wine to get an off taste or be ruined.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score
Okay, I agree with you then. I agree that you don't want to add 20 oz water to your wine. Sorry about misinterpreting!

jayhkr

Reaction score
Well I put in 6 TBS of the mixture and stirred it good. I’ll give it a few days and see if I need to add any additional. Figured I can always add to it, but not remove it.