WineXpert Bentonite, higher than usual wine loss

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is a pile of bentonite in the bottom of the carboy when starting off a problem?

WE Eclipse kits say to put 2 cups of hot water in with the bentonite and to mix well as the first step. You can mix it all day, but 2 cups isn't near enough to dissolve the amount they give.
I slowly pour the bentonite into 2 liters of water while mixing it with a drill attachment.

Just saw your post! Bentonite is a impure clay and as the name suggests one would be hard pressed to dissolve the entire contents of the packet in 2 cups of water. I was told to mix it the best you can then add to the wine. Those "chunks" will break down during the fermentation process and still do their job capturing floating particles

I slowly pour the bentonite into 2 liters of water while mixing it with a drill attachment.

Your going to add a lot of water so mix the bentonite in that water. Bentonite in suspension will do a better job!

Is a pile of bentonite in the bottom of the carboy when starting off a problem?

WE Eclipse kits say to put 2 cups of hot water in with the bentonite and to mix well as the first step. You can mix it all day, but 2 cups isn't near enough to dissolve the amount they give.

You can mix it into a slurry with a whisk in 2 or 3 cups boiling water in a small separate container and add it to your fermenter with the juice.

I've noticed the same big sediment issue with the newer WE Selection kits that have the bigger packet of bentonite and the new clarifiers. Have to add an awful lot of make-up wine!
So skip it then.
Actually, bentonite is the first thing that I typically threw into garbage accompanied by the instruction, yeast (Ec1118), clearing agents and sorbate right after I open the box. (For reds) LOL

So skip it then.
Actually, bentonite is the first thing that I typically threw into garbage accompanied by the instruction, yeast (Ec1118), clearing agents and sorbate right after I open the box. (For reds) LOL
I would keep the yeast as a backup, but other than that yeah the clearing agents i always keep they are very useful and i use them in a lot of wines. Because Chito and Kiesel are useful.

I noticed these are bigger bags so you use more hot water I usually is 1/2 gallon anyway anfstir very hard.
Whay also makes a difference in the prep is how big the granels are also..
They did this for a reason.im not sure what but they did.

Why is one brand eliminating it (MM), while a couple of others (Vineco corp.) are increasing the volume??? Looking forward to learning the science behind these obviously opposing viewpoints.

One half gallon hot water in the vessel, then sprinkle and stir quickly at the same time.

I noticed the bentonite packet in a Wine Lovers Merlot was about half the size of the WE packets I was getting. I'm finishing up the Merlot now and didn't see a lot of sediment. I also finished up a Cru International Nebbiolo with a grape kit and didn't see a concernable amount of lees there either. So, more a WE and Vineco observation?

Back