Bentonite Addition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAP91

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Fellow Winemakers!

So im new to winemaking and started a project back in September.
Got a 4.5 gl strawberry wine which has been sitting in my carboy for sometime. Ill say its been 'maturing'- the product is great cause ive given sames to commercial winemakers and regular consumers and have gotten good feedback.

Now, its a bit hazy and added 50 gm of bentonite (600ml liquid added to 4.5gl) last night to clear it out (12/01/2021).

Im curious to ask if either 48 or 72 hours is the timeframe of the bentonite addition before racking and bottling.

***Im no chemistry/ biochemistry individual- prefer to go by taste and seeing where the cosmos are aligned lol

Any input from ur experience?

I've never done a strawberry wine, but my inclination would be to give it a bit longer than that to work. Unless you must free up that space soon, what's the harm in letting it sit a week or two?

I make a strawberry wine every year and found they can be frustrating. You should be sure to add pectic enzyme if you haven't already. The bentonite is good but 50g in 4.5gal is upwards 5x a typical post fermentation dose. I'd give it a week or so to settle, then rack and use the super kleer set of fining agents. Residual protein tends to be an issue with strawberry wine.

I make a strawberry wine every year and found they can be frustrating. You should be sure to add pectic enzyme if you haven't already. The bentonite is good but 50g in 4.5gal is upwards 5x a typical post fermentation dose. I'd give it a week or so to settle, then rack and use the super kleer set of fining agents. Residual protein tends to be an issue

First image is bentonite addition

2nd image is after being racked.

Took 48 hours to clear up gi en the addition of 50 gm

Attachments

• 600ml~ 50gm bento.jpg
    600ml~ 50gm bento.jpg
    976.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210116_170814.jpg
    20210116_170814.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31

Latest posts

Back