Beneficial/cover crops for small vineyards?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my first year using roundup and I think it is the way to go. I’ve given up any hope of organic grapes, there’s too many pests out there and if we follow the chemists directions, minding pre harvest intervals etc, I think it’s safe, after all I’ve been eating and drinking crops treated with chemicals for 66 years now and I’m pretty healthy.
i did research cover crops and the lit I found all indicated it was a waste of time.

I have a 3 pronged strategy. I treat different areas each year with milky spore. I set traps out and away from the vineyard and orchard. And I spray with Garden Tech Sevin. It not carbaryl based, but is Zeta-Cypermethrin based, which I find most effective on the little buggers. I'm slowly whittling their numbers down.
Wouldn’t you know it? I bought the old carbaryl-based stuff. Heading to HD or Lowe’s to get the Zeta cyperpromethrin version along with some spreader-sticker. Thanks!
Skash

And also bought some bags like you have. Setting them about 30’ from my vines. Open area and highly visible to the JB’s.

I try to get mine a bit further (at least 300 feet), if you have the room. Too close and you are just calling them to dinner. At least set them out at the perimeter of your property.
Yes that’s about as far as I can get them. I could put it on public property but someone will probably take it.

Most of my JB problems disappeared when I stopped using those traps.

The best thing to do is give all your traps to someone down wind from your vineyard.

I keep a close eye on my grapes, waiting for the first JB attack, then I spray every beetle I see, not the whole vine.

About 2 weeks later the second attack will come and I spray again.

This procedure keeps leaf loss to a minimum without spreading a lot of chemicals around. I’m a beekeeper so bee safety is a primary concern.

I just wish I could spray something to keep the deer away.

Back