Bending a Racking Cane

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Putterrr

Reaction score
I recently replaced my racking cane after the old one broke. The new one doesn't have much of a bend to it. I've been to 4 different HBS and they all have the same cane I now have.

I want more of a bend in it so has anyone ever bent their cane without it breaking?

Thx

If I would try to bend it I'd use some kind of flameless heat source. Maybe a hair dryer or an actual heat gun. Hold it in front of a space heater maybe. Go slow while bending it.

Indirect heat on your grill, using a cookie tray to support it. When warm enough to bend, do so and allow it to cool on the tray

When bending plastic conduit a trick is to tape both ends shut. This keeps pressure inside to prevent the bend from kinking inside. This might help along with what the others said about indirect heat.

When bending plastic conduit a trick is to tape both ends shut. This keeps pressure inside to prevent the bend from kinking inside. This might help along with what the others said about indirect heat.

Would taping it cause pressure to build up inside the tube and blowout the side of it if he accidentally gets it too soft? No expert but was one of the first thoughts that popped into my head.

Some good ideas to try. Dont think water will work as boiling water will put crackes in the cane (ask me how I know)

Thx allot, will let you know how i make out when i get up the nerve

As an electrician I bend PVC conduit by heating with a heat gun all the time. This might work for you racking cane as well.

I will typically just use a heat gun and gradually bend it or I'm sure you might fill it up with sand so it does dot kink

Latest posts

Back