Bell Pepper Carménère

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We made some Chilean Carménère from grapes this spring.
After we racked it a couple times I noticed a bell pepper smell.

I thought after we put it in a barrel it would soften. It is still there
I know it is not exactly a fault but I would like to get rid of it
The wine tastes very very good.

Any fining agents to try or any recommendation would be appreciated

It is a fault and unfortunately one that is near impossible to correct. The culprit is most often under ripe grapes with high amount of pyrazine. The easiest way to it to "blend it away" with another wine(s). Oak is a good masking agent. Your best bet is probably a big dose of bentonite. That can help remove some of the vegetal off flavors.

I did a blend of 50/50 it it took it away
Also the smell has softened since last month
I will give it another month or two I hate to start dumping things in wine

Last year my vio got hit with leaf hoppers bad and I had to pick early, I too have the green pepper smell nice to know what it is from!!! Thanks Ibglowin

Picking too early is one cause

I have read that "second growth" clusters could also be a culprit. I have found this a problem with some of the Chilean grapes.

My was to sort them out. We go through each crate, tossing those underdeveloped buggers. Since then that "pepper" taste has not been a problem.

I have 25 Carmenere vines. I was checking Brix yesterday. As I went down the row and a lot of the berries had the "green taste" and were well under 20. Those over 22 didn't.

Best guess is to many clusters were under ripe when picked.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back