WineXpert Beginning to tweak Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alecia68

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read through several posts regarding tweaking chardonnay kits. I am looking to end up with a good mouth feel that is buttery but still light with citrus. Would appreciate suggestions as to when and what to add. some additions were in primary some secondary. I see grapefruit and apricot mentioned frequently. I am using a Winexpert kit in a one gallon size since I am just starting to branch out. Would glycerin help with mouth feel?

Would glycerin help with mouth feel?
Glycerin improves mouth feel, and softens harsh flavors. I use 1/2 to 1 oz per gallon of wine.

If you're looking for buttery, MLF may be required. If you have a significant level of malic acid, MLF may work. Search the forum for MLF, as there is a LOT of discussion on the topic.

I have read through several posts regarding tweaking chardonnay kits. I am looking to end up with a good mouth feel that is buttery but still light with citrus. Would appreciate suggestions as to when and what to add. some additions were in primary some secondary. I see grapefruit and apricot mentioned frequently. I am using a Winexpert kit in a one gallon size since I am just starting to branch out. Would glycerin help with mouth feel?

Glycerin improves mouth feel, and softens harsh flavors. I use 1/2 to 1 oz per gallon of wine.

If you're looking for buttery, MLF may be required. If you have a significant level of malic acid, MLF may work. Search the forum for MLF, as there is a LOT of discussion on the topic.

Be careful with that idea of MLF in a wine kit, historically it has led to nothing good, if it was even able to get started.

When I first read your post my initial thought was buttery flavor and wine kits are a hard ask. One thing I might do when making the kit is to try the "Sur Lie" method of letting the wine stay on the lees longer than a wine kit calls for, with weekly or twice weekly or even daily stirring of the lees. That may help both the mouthfeel and the buttery taste. To get the citrus notes, I would add about a half of a grapefruit zest into the wine after you rack it to be in a carboy under airlock. Smaller amounts of the zest is the way to go so that you don't overpower the natural wine flavors.

Be careful with that idea of MLF in a wine kit, historically it has led to nothing good, if it was even able to get started.
Craig is right -- most kits and MLF are not a good combination.

The sur lie idea is a good one. I do a semi-sur lie in barrels with reds, stirring at topup time.

From what I've read, you want to stir the wine daily for a few weeks. I suggest moving to a carboy after fermentation completes, carrying along all but the thick sludge. Stir gently, just to break up the sediment, once per day. After a few weeks, switch to weekly stirring, then monthly.

Back