Beginning Equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am also looking for similar advice. Crossing over from beer brewing to wine/mead making. I started & still using plastic tanks which have served us well for the cost. My question is with either, plastic or stainless, how are you (anyone on the forum) temperature controlling the fermentation? Reds ideally ferment better warmer & whites cooler. I am looking at decently priced round bottom stainless variable level tanks in the $600 range but they are not jacketed. So my concern comes with the temp control during fermentation.

Also....I see more places kegging wine & serving from taps. Any input on that? I'm trying to figure how to go, bottle serving with deep well coolers or additional taps/kegged? Regardless I will have taps due to offering cider.

I am also looking for similar advice. Crossing over from beer brewing to wine/mead making. I started & still using plastic tanks which have served us well for the cost. My question is with either, plastic or stainless, how are you (anyone on the forum) temperature controlling the fermentation? Reds ideally ferment better warmer & whites cooler. I am looking at decently priced round bottom stainless variable level tanks in the $600 range but they are not jacketed. So my concern comes with the temp control during fermentation.

Also....I see more places kegging wine & serving from taps. Any input on that? I'm trying to figure how to go, bottle serving with deep well coolers or additional taps/kegged? Regardless I will have taps due to offering cider.
So I don't worry about reds - they need the higher temps to extract color/tannin, but I live in a very moderate climate with summer highs of about 65 - the yeast are never in danger of over cooking.

I did my first chardonnay this year and I put the carboys in large rubbermaid containers filled with water and put in 2 liter frozen soda bottles filled with water. Kept the fermentation right at about 63F throughout. Had to replace the water bottles 2x a day. This is good for small-scale, but I can't see doing this for larger production.

I think kegging wine is brilliant. I've put that on my skills-to-learn and equipment-to-buy list for 2021.

Thanks! Yea here in Michigan, themps in summer can reach 90-100 F. But most wine fermenting is done in the fall when grapes are available & temps are more moderate. I would've looking at other fruit based wines though to do. So I guess if I had some sort of controlled environment of 50-70f I should be ok?

Thanks! Yea here in Michigan, themps in summer can reach 90-100 F. But most wine fermenting is done in the fall when grapes are available & temps are more moderate. I would've looking at other fruit based wines though to do. So I guess if I had some sort of controlled environment of 50-70f I should be ok?
Most likely. You shouldn't have a problem.

I used to press fairly large quantities of grapes and used plastic for primary fermentation, especially when making reds. I used beer kegs for secondaries. I had a good relationship with a local liquor store and was able to get the kegs for the deposit. The only drawback was they are difficult to clean.

I used to press fairly large quantities of grapes and used plastic for primary fermentation, especially when making reds. I used beer kegs for secondaries. I had a good relationship with a local liquor store and was able to get the kegs for the deposit. The only drawback was they are difficult to clean.
So how much are you making? 10-15 gallons?

Latest posts

Back