WineXpert Beginner with Kits. Oak question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
1st timer with kits. 1 of the 2 is Eclipse Bravado with skins. They supplied 3 different packages of oak. 2 chips to be added before primary. And one cubes for later on.
I've read that this can be too much and people opt to withhold some chips. I do not want my wine to have an overbearing oak flavor, but I also thought to follow directions to make the product they intended since it was damn expensive at $175 ( sadly found it much cheaper later on)
Started the primary and added 3/4 of each packet of oak chips. Oak cubes aren't directed until much later. Does anyone add all that oak, or do most just do a fraction ????
AJ

follow the instructions. the oak during fermentation will not affect the taste of end product but there for body and mouth feel. the oak cubes added later will present an oak presence that is more tannin. you can do taste test periodically after adding the cubes to see if it is what you desire and then rack off the cubes.

I add all the oak. The oak in the primary doesn't give the wine much oak flavor, mostly body. With the cubes I add them after the wine clears. I'll let it sit on the oak for 6 weeks, but that's my taste. By waiting until your wine clears you can adjust the oak time to suit your taste.

And the 2nd response being same idea as sal confirms it. Almost disappointed I didn't already know this since it seems like common wine knowledge. Thanks GaDawg. 12 hours into kit making and I'm getting hip to the oak jive talk.

Another random Kit question
When reading through these topics I would estimate I'm familiar with about 10% of the different brands mentioned. I basically have only looked into the kits that are sold at the couple stores local to me in the Philly area. Are the majority of your kits purchased online??

And the 2nd response being same idea as sal confirms it. Almost disappointed I didn't already know this since it seems like common wine knowledge. Thanks GaDawg. 12 hours into kit making and I'm getting hip to the oak jive talk.

Another random Kit question
When reading through these topics I would estimate I'm familiar with about 10% of the different brands mentioned. I basically have only looked into the kits that are sold at the couple stores local to me in the Philly area. Are the majority of your kits purchased online??

I have two places within 20 miles of my house where I could purchase kits. And neither one of them are good options, from a price perspective. You'll usually do much better on line, even with shipping costs. I typically use Label Peelers or Homebrew Supply for Winexpert, and FineVineWines for RJ Spagnols and Cellar Craft/Kenridge.

I've noticed the ridiculous price difference not only on the kits, but in everything really. Problem was whenever I found myself at the store I usually needed whatever I was buying either that day or the next. And other times I was just too anxious to wait.
I've also noticed that MoreWineMaking is local and was wandering about that because they definitely seem legit. I don't have a set spot for anything. I've been using Wine Barkey & Hops in Trevose and Philly Homebrew in Fishtown. And also scour Craigslist, eBay, amazon etc... Although I must admit I do very much appreciate and benefit from the personal interaction at the stores, and have received some great advice.
But when I get home and start reading up on my new Eclipse Bravado and find it available for almost $40 cheaper in a simple google search, I just about kick myself.
Thanks for all the help

Yes, I know exactly what you mean.

What I do is get my help here rather than in the store and then buy my stuff online.

As you learn, you will know what to expect and plan ahead allowing you to purchase online making it cheaper. The best thing about using this site is you can get hand holding during the learning process without having to drive to the store every time you have a question.

I've also noticed that MoreWineMaking is local and was wandering about that because they definitely seem legit.

They are legit, and a great resource as well. I've never purchased kits from them, but 2 of my 3 barrels came from them, and I almost always get my yeast, nutrients and other additives there.

They are legit, and a great resource as well. I've never purchased kits from them, but 2 of my 3 barrels came from them, and I almost always get my yeast, nutrients and other additives there.

Do you use separately purchased yeast instead of the packets provided in the kits? Or is that yeast for your juice batches?
My current 6 gal. kit came with two different packages of yeast And directed to add them both. Buying my own yeast selected for my specific needs sounds like a great way to ensure primary goes perfect and is very intriguing. But alas, yeast knowledge has not made its way to me yet, and I wouldn't know where to begin.

Do you use separately purchased yeast instead of the packets provided in the kits? Or is that yeast for your juice batches?
My current 6 gal. kit came with two different packages of yeast And directed to add them both. Buying my own yeast selected for my specific needs sounds like a great way to ensure primary goes perfect and is very intriguing. But alas, yeast knowledge has not made its way to me yet, and I wouldn't know where to begin.

In the beginning, it's probably best to stick with the kit yeast, just til you get the hang of things. You'll find that you can use different yeasts all the time, whether in kits, juice buckets, for grapes and fruit wines. Some yeasts are better suited for certain fruits and applications, some are fussy about being fed, some are intolerant of certain temperatures.

If you do want to switch yeasts, do a little research to see what you can get that you think would be a good switch, and feel free to bounce it off of the members here, everyone's happy to share their experiences and help you through.

Latest posts

Back