Beginner wine maker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johncifelli

Junior
Reaction score
Just got done pressing my wine with the wine easy from blickman. I currently have my wine in demi John's. How long should I keep it in there until I transfer it to my French oak barrel?

Just got done pressing my wine with the wine easy from blickman. I currently have my wine in demi John's. How long should I keep it in there until I transfer it to my French oak barrel?

I would rack it out of the demi-johns after 3-7 days. Most of the gross lees will have settled by then. Personally, I would let it stay in the demi-johns 3 to 4 weeks after that, to get the fine lees to settle out. Then I would go into the barrel.

I would rack it out of the demi-johns after 3-7 days. Most of the gross lees will have settled by then. Personally, I would let it stay in the demi-johns 3 to 4 weeks after that, to get the fine lees to settle out. Then I would go into the barrel.
Thank you very much that sounds like a plan

I agree with the recommendations from @Chuck E above. Only thing I'll add is that if you are doing MLF, consider leaving your wine in the demi-johns (properly topped up of course) until MLF has completed. You can then transfer to the barrel(s) and sulfite.

I agree with the recommendations from @Chuck E above. Only thing I'll add is that if you are doing MLF, consider leaving your wine in the demi-johns (properly topped up of course) until MLF has completed. You can then transfer to the barrel(s) and sulfite.
Excellent thank you. I did a sulfate treatment during fermentation do I need to sulfate again when it goes into the barrel?

Excellent thank you. I did a sulfate treatment during fermentation do I need to sulfate again when it goes into the barrel?

Sulfite, with an "i", is potassium metabisulfite. It's also available in sodium form, but that's for sanitizing, not adding to your wine. I assume that you mean that you did a sulfite treatment at the end of fermentation, normal dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons. If you used that dosage, it's good for three months, and you can rest assured that MLF will not proceed with sulfite at that level.......

Sulfite, with an "i", is potassium metabisulfite. It's also available in sodium form, but that's for sanitizing, not adding to your wine. I assume that you mean that you did a sulfite treatment at the end of fermentation, normal dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons. If you used that dosage, it's good for three months, and you can rest assured that MLF will not proceed with sulfite at that level.......
Yes thank you

I happen to like it because of the easy cleaning easy setup and a built in press. Made from heavy duty stainless steel. I just don't think it squeezes like a conventional press. But I think that's the whole idea they don't want you squeezing seeds. I think you get about 5 to 10% less finished product.

Latest posts

Back