Beginner recipes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triw51

Junior
Reaction score
I live in Northern Arizona and am new to brewing mead (which I understand to be honey wine) and am looking for a book with instructions and definitions for the terms you folks use. Also would like a source for recipes in the gallon size to start with. Thanks

At the top of this beginners page there is a thread with winemaking terms. Bet that should do for most of the definitions you want. Next thread up from there is how to use a hydrometer. Read that, at least how to use it. @Scooter68 has a pretty good set of instructions on here how to get started. Bet he will show up and give you a hand. Found them, Scooters directions are down in the country fruit wine forum. Arne.

Last edited:
Yeah I hesitated to jump is as I have never made a Mead. To my limited understanding a "Mead" is "Fermented" just as a wine is and not like a beer is "Brewed." That's a small thing but sometimes those small things will bite you where and when you least expect it.

Looks like a good starting point would be in this sites forum on Meads: Meads

There are some subtle differences I imagine but a lot of the steps are the same for grape, fruit, and Honey (Mead) wine making. (Yeah Grapes are a fruit I know.)
The reason I mentioned initially the difference between Brewing and Fermenting is that some things are significantly different such as Sterilizing equipment for brewing is a critical action, but for wine making we only need to sanitize our equipment. Additionally (And I just learned this a few days ago) there are some types of organisms that 'some' brewers use, that will essentially ruin wine makers entire operation, to the point, according to some sources, of rendering a home unsuitable for ever making wine there once that organism has been introduced to the environment. Again, this may be wrong, but; if I understand correctly that would compare to the headaches when a house becomes a home to "Black Mold" and it is just about impossible to remove it.
Sorry if this is belaboring the issues.
In any case welcome and I really would suggest you look into the forum link I posted above. Mead makers will probably swamp you with help, but; then that's a good thing.

Welcome.

Yeah I hesitated to jump is as I have never made a Mead. To my limited understanding a "Mead" is "Fermented" just as a wine is and not like a beer is "Brewed." That's a small thing but sometimes those small things will bite you where and when you least expect it.

There are some subtle differences I imagine but a lot of the steps are the same for grape, fruit, and Honey (Mead) wine making. (Yeah Grapes are a fruit I know.)
The reason I mentioned initially the difference between Brewing and Fermenting is that some things are significantly different such as Sterilizing equipment for brewing is a critical action, but for wine making we only need to sanitize our equipment. Additionally (And I just learned this a few days ago) there are some types of organisms that 'some' brewers use, that will essentially ruin wine makers entire operation, to the point, according to some sources, of rendering a home unsuitable for ever making wine there once that organism has been introduced to the environment. Again, this may be wrong, but; if I understand correctly that would compare to the headaches when a house becomes a home to "Black Mold" and it is just about impossible to remove it.
In any case welcome and I really would suggest you look into the forum link I posted above. Mead makers will probably swamp you with help, but; then that's a good thing.

Welcome.
Thank you scooter68

Welcome.
yep at least the meads i made were like wine as were the melomels i think that's right when you add berries to mead honey wines
Dawg

Mead is wine, with a few caveats, so most of the lessons for general wine making apply. The advice posted so far is all good. The folks who have replied are all worth listening to.

The issue with most wines is getting enough sugar. With honey, it's diluting it so the sugar content is low enough for the yeast to eat. Without dilution, honey is too concentrated for yeast to eat.

My notes from my 2018 mead are here -- this may provide you with guidance, but you'll have to divide the numbers to get down to a 1 gallon batch.

A key point -- a 1 gallon initial volume will be reduced by subsequent rackings. Plan an initial 1.5 gallon volume and have extra containers for the excess.

the best book on meads that I have seen is “The Complete Meadmaker” by Schramm. It is not a recipe book but has examples, it is good at looking at the ingredient honey and add on as melomel and telling what the rules are to make a finished wine.
and am looking for a book with instructions and definitions for the terms you folks use.

Latest posts

Back