Begining SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whine4wine

Reaction score
After years of procrastination I finally decided to make wine.

Apple wine, have started the must, and am about to add yeast.
Before I add what should my SG be? I'm at 1.060 right now.
Do I need more sugar?

Found my own answer, the book says 1.80 is a good start......so I'm close.

I love this forum:)

Absolutely Whine, start around 1.085 or so. If you want to make rocket fuel than do it. get to high of alcohol and you give up flavour.

I am actually, any minute now, I swear, gonna transfer an applie wine into the secondary.

I use 1.080 myself.. you must have nice sweet apples there.. sounds like it'll be a nice brew..

oh and welcome to the forum!

Allie

I use 1.080 myself.. you must have nice sweet apples there.. sounds like it'll be a nice brew..

oh and welcome to the forum!

Allie

Thanks for the welcome,
The purists will have a laugh at this.
I have Johnathon apples that I made into cider, with a Juicemaster.
If you ever used one, it leaves alot of sludge and pieces behind.
I used about 2gals of sludge, a gal of cider, a couple cinnimon sticks,and a few cups of concord grapes, as a starter. I added boiling water to get about 6 gals in fermentor. Started with 4.5, ended with about 7 cups of sugar in the must to get the SG up to about 1.088.
The must is very thick, almost like applesause.:) I almost wonder if I should have made 2 batches.:re

I just added the yeast. Things were a little cool, just over 60* so I put the belly band heater on, to bring the temp up a little.

Wish me luck. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.:re

Thanks Dale

1.080 is a good starting sg for apple and where you are at is fine but dont go any higher then where you are with apple or other delicate fruit wines. Blackberry, Black Currant and fruits like that can hide higher abvs.

Thanks for the welcome,
The purists will have a laugh at this.
I have Johnathon apples that I made into cider, with a Juicemaster.
If you ever used one, it leaves alot of sludge and pieces behind.
I used about 2gals of sludge, a gal of cider, a couple cinnimon sticks,and a few cups of concord grapes, as a starter. I added boiling water to get about 6 gals in fermentor. Started with 4.5, ended with about 7 cups of sugar in the must to get the SG up to about 1.088.
The must is very thick, almost like applesause.:) I almost wonder if I should have made 2 batches.:re

I just added the yeast. Things were a little cool, just over 60* so I put the belly band heater on, to bring the temp up a little.

Wish me luck. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.:re

Thanks Dale

Hey Dale,

It's good to have honest commentary,

however, ( you knew there'd be a however... right?)

we are not purists.. .. hehehhe I bet you are worried now!

We are a bunch of people that make wine, we don't always agree and we don't have to agree.

I use a juicer myself.. it makes the top of the juice all gunky and greyish..I pour off the clear juice underneath and discard the top cap... Then ferment on pure apple juice..I don't add any water or sugar.

we all do things our own way, if you are happy with your wine, make it to your own requirements..

Allie

Allie, I know what you mean with that foam stuff on top.
I used a sun tea jug with a tap located at the bottom of the jug, that way I can drain off all the cider and leave that foam crap behind.

I too was going to try a batch from the pure cider. Do you have a receipe or any tips on a pure cider batch.

Dale

I recommend you juice apples if you have access to them.. whether for apple wine.. ( don't add water, just bring the SG up to 1.080 with sugar).. or cider ( don't add water or sugar.. just ferment out on the natural sugars for a hard cider) my average mix produces 1.052 in natural sugars.

these are guidelines I use and prefer..

I reiterate.. they are guidelines.. you are the best judge of what you enjoy drinking.. make it for yourself.

and please share your triumphs in here..we all want to hear about something that works spectacularly

Allie

Latest posts

Back