begginer from Brazil, beer homebrewer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucas moura

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a coffee farmer from Brazil. I have planted some grapes trees and will make my first wine soon. I am a beer homebrewer so I understand some about fermentation, equipment, pumps, airlock.

I have read and watched some videos. In beer brewing, we only want oxygen in the beggining of fermentation, for celular reproduction of yeast. The main doubt I have so far in wine brewing is aeration during the many fermentations and laggering (?! is the same term as in brewing?). Do you aerate (want oxygen) even after you have separated the liquid from the peel and seeds?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if there is another apropriate area in the forum for this discussion.

Welcome to Winemakingtalk.

When fermenting grape juice oxygen is generally not a problem until you have fermented to dry and then the CO2 starts to leave the wine. The CO2 protects the wine during this time. After this you want to avoid oxygen by using the proper sized vessel with airlock to allow the CO2 to escape (or you will end up with a fizzy wine) as well as adding sulfites to react and tie up any leftover oxygen in the wine.

The free Morewine Winemaking Manuals are an excellent resource for new winemakers describing the steps involved in detail along the way for both red and white wines.

https://morewinemaking.com/content/winemanuals

Latest posts

Back