been making wine for about 5 years but

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I have a newbie question. It has been about 2 years since I made wine due to life getting in my way.

I have an en Primeur red blend kit that has sat around about 3 months. Now, I am about to go away for a month in six days.
do I have time to do initial ferment, add skins and put in a carboy before I leave. I will not add sulfites until I return?

If not, should I put the kit in a refridgerator?

Your opinion is appreciated.

Hi, second question first. You can leave the kit in a cool part of your place, out of the light, and be just fine while you're gone. No need to refrigerate it unless your place stays in the 80s. You can also look at the sticker on it and check the packaging date. It should be fine for up to a year after that date.

If you have six days before you leave you could do a quick primary and then put it in secondary before you leave. Six days is enough if you have a warm fermentation area and use the provided yeast. I often get to 1.00 in five days when the room is warm. If it's cool or I switch yeast to BM4x4 it can take longer. But, I'd prefer to keep the skin pack in longer to ensure more extraction than your time will allow. A month in secondary under airlock should be fine. But I know that I would worry about my airlock going dry if I were gone that long. It's just my comfort level but I would wait till I got back to start.

Welcome back, and good luck.

Back