been away awhile...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunwolf

Reaction score
I have three batches going now.
I am making 3 gal. strawberry/blueberry
3 gal. staghorn sumac
1 gal. honey mead
the mead is my first attempt. I kept it simple using a recipe from a friend using orange blossom honey.
the staghorn sumac is also a new recipe...I kind of winged it on this one.
I started with a few different recipes and had to alter them to get my starting SG and acid levels correct.

I missed making wine and glad I am back.
if anyone else has ever made staghorn sumac wine...please let me know how it turned out.

Gunwolf, welcome back! Pull up a stool and stick around this time. Holy cow sumac wine? Sounds like you'll fit right in with the other making milk wine. :)

Keep us posted on this and maybe a recipe.

I have been making staghorn sumac "lemonade" for years...finally decided to ferment it!
left to right...sumac,honey,strawberry/bluebery
026.jpg

I haven't made the sumac, but it is on my list of things I'd like to try. Keep us posted with the results. I'd also be interested in the amount of sumac clumps you used and if you think your batch could have used more or less. Thanks.

Sumac? Really?! I have been at war with this stuff. If it makes wine maybe it's worth allowing some to live. Recipe?

Sumac? Really?! I have been at war with this stuff. If it makes wine maybe it's worth allowing some to live. Recipe?

funny how this grows just about everywhere and no one knows it's there! it is all over my property along evry path I have.
I will post my recipe after I see how it turns out. so far so good, but I won't know for sure for a few months yet.

[.
I will post my recipe after I see how it turns out. so far so good, but I won't know for sure for a few months yet.[/QUOTE]

No No No can't wait that long. I sounds real interesting. Give us some bones to pick on. Please. Like are you using freshish seed heads or dried? I have made teas out of the dried seeds before and liked it. Also, If they were indeed fresh and ripe, did you used the standard 4-5 lbs. per gallons? And how many cups of peptic enzyme did you use to break those puppies down? Thanks
Brad

Latest posts

Back