Beaverdale Red not clearinv

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plato25

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Hi all

I have just made a six bottle kit of Beaverdale Cabernet Cabernet Sauvignon red, which appears to be excellent up to now.

After seven days, the wine should’ve cleared according to the instructions. Seven days is up now, and the wine is not really clearing very slight sediment, but the wine has not cleared yet.

Is there anything that I can do to clear the wine now. I’ve already gone through the usual clearing process as per the instructions.

Thanks in anticipation for any help in this.

What is the SG? If fermentation isn't 100% complete, the wine will not clear.

Kit instructions are designed for total beginners who have no test equipment, e.g., no hydrometer, and everything works off calendar duration.

Unfortunately, yeast will not read a calendar and will stubbornly do their own thing. Most of the time the calendar duration works ok, but you may have hit one of the exceptions.

7 days is highly, highly, highly optimistic. Be patient. 7 weeks may not be enough. Instructions get you started in the right direction, but are no guarantee to make a perfect wine.

By the way, when was the wine pitched?
Hi

Wine has stated to clear. The top quarter is well on the way. I think you’re right 7 days is a bit optimistic. I’ll wait now until it clears fully. Then take the SG

BTW what’s “pitched”?

Thx for your advice. Spot on it seems.

What is the SG? If fermentation isn't 100% complete, the wine will not clear.

Kit instructions are designed for total beginners who have no test equipment, e.g., no hydrometer, and everything works off calendar duration.

Unfortunately, yeast will not read a calendar and will stubbornly do their own thing. Most of the time the calendar duration works ok, but you may have hit one of the exceptions.
Hi

I haven’t taken the SG yet. I was waiting for it to clear. It has now begun to clear so I’ll give it more time.

Your ref to yeasts and the calendar is very apt. It makes a lot of sense.

Thx for your advice. Looking forward to drinking it in a few months.

That just means the process of introducing the yeast, i.e., the inoculation. We use that term whether you sprinkle the dry yeast on top, or if you rehydrate it and then introduce it to the must.
Hi

Thx. I hadn’t heard the term before in this context re you question. Not sure as I don’t make a note. It was about a week before fermentation started.

I have a seperate question. If I make a kit wine and want to have a higher ABV can I substitute a high alcohol yeast and an appropriate increase in sugar and get higher ABV? It sounds like it might be too good to be true!

Thx.

I have a seperate question. If I make a kit wine and want to have a higher ABV can I substitute a high alcohol yeast and an appropriate increase in sugar and get higher ABV? It sounds like it might be too good to be true!
Yes -- adding sugar will produce a higher ABV, to a point. Most kits include EC-1118, which is what is generally used for high ABV wines, so there's no need to swap yeasts.

How high are you talking? EC-1118 is rated for 18% ABV, and that is typically reached with step feeding, e.g., start with a reasonable level of sugar, say OG of 1.100. When it drops to 1.010, add enough sugar to bump it to 1.020 to 1.030, and let it ferment. Repeat until the yeast quits. Doing this you can start with any yeast, and when the ABV reaches ~15%, make an overnight starter with EC-1118 and add it.

Yes -- adding sugar will produce a higher ABV, to a point. Most kits include EC-1118, which is what is generally used for high ABV wines, so there's no need to swap yeasts.

How high are you talking? EC-1118 is rated for 18% ABV, and that is typically reached with step feeding, e.g., start with a reasonable level of sugar, say OG of 1.100. When it drops to 1.010, add enough sugar to bump it to 1.020 to 1.030, and let it ferment. Repeat until the yeast quits. Doing this you can start with any yeast, and when the ABV reaches ~15%, make an overnight starter with EC-1118 and add it.
Thx. Very useful. I had no idea that most kit wines used a high ABV yeast. My current kit wine is quoted as 11-12 ABV. I want in future to go to 14-15 ABV.

From what you say that should be easy to achieve in future by adding auger in increments.

That will be my next wine.

Thx for the info.

Thx. Very useful. I had no idea that most kit wines used a high ABV yeast. My current kit wine is quoted as 11-12 ABV. I want in future to go to 14-15 ABV.
EC-1118 is popular because it's a workhorse -- give it the opportunity and it will ferment a rock. It makes sense as this helps ensure success, and success is required to produce repeat customers.

The ABV a kit can produce is directly related to the amount of sugar in the must. Yeast eats sugar and excretes alcohol and CO2. Once the sugar runs out, the yeast has nothing to eat so everything stops.

Keep in mind that wine is a complex solution -- there is a balance of the body of the wine, the acid, residual sugar, and ABV. If any is out of balance with the others, the wine will taste off, e.g., too much alcohol will make the wine taste hot and unpleasant. Bumping the ABV 1% or 2% shouldn't normally be a problem, but going cautiously is the better choice.

A big thanks to all who responded to my initial and follow-up questions. It’s all been very helpful and enlightening. Learnt more in one evening than I could have hoped for

Latest posts

Back