Beaming in from Hungary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the forum!

Very interesting article/interview about yourself.

So are the vineyards for hobby or are they commercial?

WELCOME!!

The family winery is in Lovas. Are you close to that?

What varieties of grape have you planted?

Last edited:
Welcome. Hungary is a beautiful place with interesting people, amazing history great wine. We did a two week crossing from Budapest to Kosice, via Igar a few years ago. Hopefully I'll make it again this year, work of course.

As others have asked, what are you growing/making? Great web link btw.

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you kindly.

So are the vineyards for hobby or are they commercial?

Some parts are a hobby (my Turán (known as Agria in North America) grapes and my fruit wine are hobby wines. The rest is an investment.

That is, mostly I have invested in abandoned vineyard land that had their vines removed, and I have replanted. Allowed grapes to grow for the first time on many vines just last year, then we had devastating hail in July, which destroyed the crop. Farming can be "fun" like that. Shall have to see what mood mother nature is in this year.

The family winery is in Lovas. Are you close to that?

I would estimate Eastern Croatia would be around a 6 hour drive. So not really that far.

What varieties of grape have you planted?

Pinot gris, Pinot noir, Prios Tramini (i.e. Gewürztramine), Welschriesling ("Italian Riesling"),Kéknyelű and Turán (a.k.a. Agria in North America).

Welcome. Hungary is a beautiful place with interesting people, amazing history great wine. We did a two week crossing from Budapest to Kosice, via Igar a few years ago. Hopefully I'll make it again this year, work of course.
The southern route is the way to go, especially via Villány, for red wines. Going north of Lake Balaton is mostly white wines.

As others have asked, what are you growing/making? Great web link btw.

Of the varieties I have in the ground, most are new plantings.

Currently only making Welschriesling ("Italian Riesling") in any significant amounts from one hundred fifty, 50 year old vines (they came with the first vineyard). The Pinot gris are the oldest new plantings (5 years old this year) and should surpass the Welschriesling this year or next year. What they lack for in age, they should make up for in sheer numbers.

Of course, also have Mulberry trees just hanging heavy with fruit each year, and so I do a bit of fruit wine to keep myself in practice. Even tried dandelion wine this spring. Just out of curiosity how it would go.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I just checked out your blog entry....
be right back guys, I'm moving to Hungary. It sounds lovely.

Of the varieties I have in the ground, most are new plantings.

Currently only making Welschriesling ("Italian Riesling") in any significant amounts from one hundred fifty, 50 year old vines (they came with the first vineyard). The Pinot gris are the oldest new plantings (5 years old this year) and should surpass the Welschriesling this year or next year. What they lack for in age, they should make up for in sheer numbers.

Of course, also have Mulberry trees just hanging heavy with fruit each year, and so I do a bit of fruit wine to keep myself in practice. Even tried dandelion wine this spring. Just out of curiosity how it would go.

Wow! To find 50 year old vines to work with. Guess that is the advantage of the "old world". How do you make your welschriesling? Dry or a bit sweet? As I work in Austria, Styria, regularly, I seek it out around there. Generally I find it a nice easy going wine.

Wow! To find 50 year old vines to work with. Guess that is the advantage of the "old world". How do you make your welschriesling? Dry or a bit sweet? As I work in Austria, Styria, regularly, I seek it out around there. Generally I find it a nice easy going wine.

I make all my wine as dry as the grapes allow.

Different attitude here about old vines. The old story when you have something, it becomes common, and one appreciates it less. Many are now getting removed and vineyards replanted. EU payments to do both probably has something to do with it.

Olaszriesling (the Hungarian name for Welschriesling) was for many years the most common grape grown in my wine region, but that is changing. It's very high yields makes for a common cheap priced wine here. I have never had an Austrian Welschriesling, and to be frank, I am not too fond of the quality of most retail Olaszriesling. The Olaszriesling made with love by local small hobby wine makers is better.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back