Be kind

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is a pole, If you just went 40 days without, what would be the first bottle you open?

Depends how fruitful of a Lend you had, Seven Deadly Zins or Purple Angel.

Last edited:
I gave up alcohol for lent 2 years ago. First time I had ever given up anything for lent. Tough part was right in the middle I went to Haiti and Sore3d a Bottle of Barbancour to bring back. had to wait four weeks before I could touch it. That was tough.

I am not Catholic but I do attend church most Sundays. Until recently I have never given up anything for lent. I decided to start and it is personally rewarding to know that I can give up something I love/like for a few weeks to show my faith. I have also given up alcohol for lent this year and so far it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Well that is of course until my MIL came over to visit and asked me to open a bottle for her. :) I did resist but it wasn't easy.

Just a note: it will be 46 days if you also give up alcohol on Sundays.

Day 11..

DD, I hear ya. I am not much of a Catholic, I have other reasons for this, but I also see "taking one for the lord" as a benefit.

One day, I came home from school to find my mother having a seizure on the floor. In a panic, I called an ambulence and had her rushed to the hospital. I was very shocked and surprised to find out that she was going through the DTs. It was not pretty seeing her like that.

I honestly had no idea that there was a problem or that she was even drinking. Her drink of choice was gin, so I assume that that it was easy for her to hide. After looking back, her being drunk all the time sure explained a lot about why we never really got along. Not to say that I was a prince, but I am sure the gin had a lot to do with it.

She spent a week in the hospital, then 90 days in rehab. The upswing here is that my folks are still married, and she has not touched a drop (as far as I know) for over 31 years.

I have been told that Alcoholism is a disease that can be genetic. When I think of this, and then huge amount of wine that I make, I do worry that I might end up like her. Actually, "worry" is too kind of a word, it is more like I am "SCARED SH#TLESS".

So I put rules on myself and also recognize the main differences between me and my mother...

1) I hardly ever drink the hard stuff. I just do not like the taste of whiskey, although I may have brandy when I am sick.

2) I NEVER drink on a "School Night". Except for rare occasions, I keep the drinking to Friday/Saturday nights.

3) I never drink to get drunk. I see people praising "Red Stripe" beer because of its high APV and not because of its flavor. I only drink what I like.

4) Once a year, I give it all up for lent. The big thing I get out of this is to find out just how easy or hard it is. If I find it hard, then I will know that I have to deal with it.

Sorry if I am getting a little deep here.

johnT.

Day 11..

DD, I hear ya. I am not much of a Catholic, I have other reasons for this, but I also see "taking one for the lord" as a benefit.

One day, I came home from school to find my mother having a seizure on the floor. In a panic, I called an ambulence and had her rushed to the hospital. I was very shocked and surprised to find out that she was going through the DTs. It was not pretty seeing her like that.

I honestly had no idea that there was a problem or that she was even drinking. Her drink of choice was gin, so I assume that that it was easy for her to hide. After looking back, her being drunk all the time sure explained a lot about why we never really got along. Not to say that I was a prince, but I am sure the gin had a lot to do with it.

She spent a week in the hospital, then 90 days in rehab. The upswing here is that my folks are still married, and she has not touched a drop (as far as I know) for over 31 years.

I have been told that Alcoholism is a disease that can be genetic. When I think of this, and then huge amount of wine that I make, I do worry that I might end up like her. Actually, "worry" is too kind of a word, it is more like I am "SCARED SH#TLESS".

So I put rules on myself and also recognize the main differences between me and my mother...

1) I hardly ever drink the hard stuff. I just do not like the taste of whiskey, although I may have brandy when I am sick.

2) I NEVER drink on a "School Night". Except for rare occasions, I keep the drinking to Friday/Saturday nights.

3) I never drink to get drunk. I see people praising "Red Stripe" beer because of its high APV and not because of its flavor. I only drink what I like.

4) Once a year, I give it all up for lent. The big thing I get out of this is to find out just how easy or hard it is. If I find it hard, then I will know that I have to deal with it.

Sorry if I am getting a little deep here.

johnT.

john, no need to apologize....personally, i appreciate that inside look....makes me feel like i get to know a person better....as for the genetics of alcoholism, i have worried about that as well, since all my life i remember my dad drinking....getting off of work at 4pm, but not coming coming home til at least 10 or 11, after hanging out at his favorite watering hole...occasionally he would "go on the wagon" and would actually come home after work regularly for awhile, but then go right back to his usual routine....i remember a couple of times where his "state" made him become violent and abusing, and forced me to have to call the police as a child, but i digress...sad thing is, through all of it, to this day he really doesn't ubderstand why my mom and i left when i was a young teen...he doesn't remember what used to go on, and it's because of the alcohol...but as i have gotten older, i am finding harder and harder to drink til i get drunk...i drink on an occasional basis for the most part, and normally only socially...i find myself usually now, losing my taste for alcohol after a few drinks....heck, it's even gotten to the point where on some occasions, after a couple, i can feel a bit of a buzz....lol...last night for example, while sitting and watching tv, i decided to have one of my "stocking stuffers" from xmas: a 187ml bottle of gallo pink moscato...i tell you what, it seemed like it only took a couple of sips to finish it off, but i had that tingly little sensation i get in my face, and on the back of my neck, as well as that "fuzziness" in my head....lol...so even though i do believe there is some truth to the heredity of alcoholism, some how it seems i have avoided the addiction gene....thanks for sharing john....lol...as you can see, made me want to share....sorry folks if i got too winded....lol...

Folks, I’m humbled by your stories and am reminded how blessed I am. Sunday I will offer my prayers and Holy Communion for those affected by alcoholism and abuse. I add the Jesuit motto on my wine labels “ad majoren Deo gloriam” which translates “for the better glory of God”. If I ever thought that my wine got in the way of that motto I would have to find another hobby. I know we’re getting into deep water here but there is nothing wrong with a little reality check every now and then.

G8,

I think that the main difference here is that we drink for enjoyment and not to mask any trauma that life throws our way.

I truly savor a good glass of wine. Like you, I find that after a glass or two, I loose the taste for it and at that point I usually stop. I have to say that I like friday nights, after a week or work is put to bed, and a nice fire is happening in the fireplace, a glass of good wine is really a thing to look forward to. I think that you and I do not have much to worry about since we both take it very seriously. We learn from our past experiences and do our best to not slip into those patterns that we have both observed growing up.

As for myself, I am finding that going without is rather easy. This helps to put my concerns to rest and I can be more at peace with things.

I hope that we have not depressed everyone on this forum. I just felt like sharing...

Tony,

I could not have said it any better! Thanks!
johnT.

I think God would be sad if you gave up wine. He loved wine so much that he turned WATER into wine just so he could share it with everyone- just like us! Can't you take some other precious substance to withhold for 40 days? Say, maybe chocolate or potatoe chips or something?
We are supposed to strive to make God happy, so drink the wine is what I say! =-)

I think God would be sad if you gave up wine. He loved wine so much that he turned WATER into wine just so he could share it with everyone- just like us! Can't you take some other precious substance to withhold for 40 days? Say, maybe chocolate or potatoe chips or something?
We are supposed to strive to make God happy, so drink the wine is what I say! =-)

Would watermelon and water skiing work?

At least you're giving up something that actually means something to you. I see some pretty lame sacrifices out there, like "negative thoughts" or "lattes". (Lattes meaning they can have as much regular coffee as they like).

Day 12,

Only god can change water into wine. The rest of us can only change wine back into water. LOL

Seriously, it's no big deal. Its only 40 days in total (with 28 day remaining).

Last edited:
OK,

Day 18. Boy is this a piece of cake.

I had a very difficult weekend. Long story short, I ended up in a screaming match with a past member of my winemaking group. Through it all, I had no desire to run to a bottle or even thought about taking a drink.

I really like knowing how easy it is to give it up.

Did your past member give up wine for Lent also, or had he possibly been bottling or emptying bottles? Arne.

As my children grew up I was always discussing with them the difference between "use" and "abuse". Abusing and over indulging in anything is bad.

I guess I have a lot of other thoughts and pet peeves regarding alcoholism but I will save those for a different time and venue.

But, just an FYI. I typically prefer beer over wine as a drink of choice with friends while out. A few years ago I gave up beer for Lent and enjoyed a lot of wine. Enough said!

*ponders if the fight was regarding bottle shapes, topping up properly, or ageing techniques* teehee. I just can't imagine fighting over wine. It makes me too mellow & happy!

Did your past member give up wine for Lent also, or had he possibly been bottling or emptying bottles? Arne.

Day 19: Guys, its a very long story and (for me) a very, very painful one. It makes me wish that I had never involved anyone else in winemaking. The real life lesson I learned is this.. The higher the "ups" you experience, the lower the "downs".

Be very careful on who you share a passion with!

Last edited:
Oh Dear :(

I didn't mean to provoke, and i'm hoping you have a great weekend despite the week's events! ;)

Latest posts

Back