Batch Size Preference?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May have missed and perhaps this was already mentioned the choices are often based on very personal reasons:
1) Cost,
2) Availability (Fruit, Hardware or even Space),
3) Interests,
4) Risk Taker vs Non Risk Taker mindset.

So while one will say it takes the same steps for 1 gallon or 6 gallons, another will say, I just don't have the budget to buy 40 lbs of Blueberries, Blackberries etc.
There is no wrong answer but keep in mind that once you get below say about 1 gallon, the measurements and potential waste could end up creating more frustration when you end up with 2 bottles of wine that then should age for 1, 2, or 3 years or more.
I went the small batch route (1 gallon) for about 18 months and then moved to mostly 3 gallon batches although sometimes I might end up with a 4 or 5 gallon batch but since my largest carboy is 3 gallon, I just supplement with one or two 1 gallon containers.

Last edited:
We left out storage capacity and general need.

Once the wine is made, ya gotta store it while it's aging, or at least until consumed. If living in a small apartment, there may be room only for a few cases of wine.

Consumption is a big factor. If you open a bottle each night, a carboy lasts less than a month. If you open a bottle per month, that carboy will last 2 years.

I make for both immediate and future needs. Some wines are relatively quick drinkers and I'm not worried about shelf life. Others are made to last and don't get touched much, such as a 2018 Metheglin which I only open a couple of bottles each year.

Last edited:
We left out storage capacity and general need.

Once the wine is made, ya gotta store it while it's aging, or at least until consumed. If living in a small apartment, there may be room only for a few cases of wine.

Consumption is a big factor. If you open a bottle each night, a carboy lasts less than a month. If you open a bottle per month, that carboy will last 2 years.

I make for both immediate and future needs. Some wines are relatively quick drinkers and I'm not worried about shelf life. Others are made to last and don't get touched much, such as a 2018 Metheglin which I only open a couple of bottles each year.

You nailed another great point with storage capacity. I am starting out and am slowly building an arsenal of carboys so I can only age so much at once.

I also like the idea of making a large enough batch that I can drink some right when it is "drinkable" to my taste and then set aside some try after a longer period of time.

In the beginning, it was 5 gal batches as it was the only size I had and made a decent amount of wine which at the time. After a few batches I got a hold of 1.5 gal buckets to make "specialty wines" Like honey dew melon". The 5 gal containers were used for when I came across larger amounts of cheap or free wine making materials.

I started doing a dozen fermentation’s a season (grape wine) making all sorts of varietals and went through the carboy population growth phase. I quickly graduated to 30 gallon, then onto a 60 gallon barrel. That is my sweet spot today; make the absolute best 60 gallon barrel of red wine I can make regardless of cost or effort and then everything else is a side project. I like to limit those projects to 2 or 3 more ferments, whose total is less than 60 gallons.
60 gallons is my sweet spot as a macrobin of grapes will usually make enough wine to fill the barrel.

I usually do 5 to 15 gal. Fruit wines from what i grow and are able to harwest .it's usually apple,choke cherry, rhubarb,strawberry, raspberry,cranberries and last year elderberries. And some other wacky brews. Then 30 to 50 gal. Grape wines when grapes are available. Due to covid this was a challenge.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back