Basket press hydraulic fluid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
About a month ago my wife and I were attempting to move a large basket press out of our winery. The central threaded beam is taller than the doorway opening so the only way to do this is by very precariously tipping it back with one person bearing most of the weight and another steering it. It has worked every time I've done it, but I have always had one or two able-bodied people there to help whereas this time just my wife and I. Long story short;
We couldn't manage it, it fell over and all the hydraulic fluid spilled out. Ive never refilled the fluid before so I figured I would double check the procedure with yall. AN online source just said to refill it through the opening at the top... is that all there is to it? Is there any particular type or specification of hydraulic fluid that I need? Thanks.

If the recommended fluid is not in the manual I would contact the manufacturer. Using the wrong fluid can void warranty, for example.

This is a pretty important issue to get right. IMHO, comments from the hive mind such as "I use XYZ and it works fine", I would not trust unless the person is a hydraulic engineer working in the food industry. But that is just me. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks. I don't have a manual for the press and it was bought something like 20 years ago so I'll try contacting the manufacturer.

I don't have a manual for the press and it was bought something like 20 years ago

Old equipment is a problem. I have a similar problem. My 45 year old compact tractor needs new hydraulic fluid soon, but it was imported from Japan as a gray market item, came with no manual, and everything on the tractor is in Japaneses. While I would like to use rapeseed oil, I don't know if I can or should (e.g. how will that affect the seals, etc.). Some day I may need to hire a Japaneses translator to help me contact the company in Japan.