Basic Meade question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobF

Reaction score
I have 3# of honey thats been sitting here for a while. I intend to make a batch of meade with it soon.

Here's the question:

Does anyone adjust sg to target abv or back sweeten when it's done?

I don't see either of these mentioned in any of the recipes I've seen.

The recipes I've seen call for different amounts of honey to vary the sweeteness, but it seems to me that if firmented dry, the initial amount of honey would determine final abv ...

I have 3# of honey thats been sitting here for a while. I intend to make a batch of meade with it soon.

Here's the question:

Does anyone adjust sg to target abv or back sweeten when it's done?

I don't see either of these mentioned in any of the recipes I've seen.

The recipes I've seen call for different amounts of honey to vary the sweeteness, but it seems to me that if firmented dry, the initial amount of honey would determine final abv ...

i would follow the recipe, but use a hydrometer. we NEVER use a straight recipe. we have tweaked everything as we go. the tweaks might just be for acid or sugar, but many times it's the #/gal and/or the variety of fruit being used.

tweaking and experimenting is the best part of wine making. wait, the second part, the FIRST part is drinking, i mean, tasting..... :b

I agree always use the hydro. Trying to overshoot a fermentation in the hopes that it will stop where you want it is very risky at best unless you dont care if it ferments and makes much more abv then you wanted. If your looking for a sweet wine then sweeten back unless you have a fridge or spare freezer and the means to sterile filter when done with that process.

Thanks guys. That's the confirmation I was looking for. With what I've learned from making other wines, it didn't make sense to me to "go blind" with meade.

I've made several meads using yeast that I knew couldn't ferment to dryness. My favorite is fermentis S-33 which is an ale yeast. Its the old Edme strain which is pretty clean if fermented cool-ish. It really can't go past 14.5% abv on its best day. Don't exceed 3lbs of honey, and you'll end up with a fairly sweet mead. 3lbs will be 'dessert' sweet, 2.75lbs will just be 'sweet'.

Latest posts

Back