Basic Campden tablet question? When to use

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDaveK

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is bugging the heck out of me. (If I had a nickel for everything that bugged the heck out of me......)
Why do some recipes call for a campden tablet in the initial mix and some don't?
For example, some of Keller's flower recipes call for a campden tablet, some don't.
His banana and cabbage recipes do not. (I went shopping today :) )
I think a grocery store is similar to a hospital rather than the garden when it comes to micro nasties.
Can I safely use a campden tablet in any recipe just in case? Or is there a reason for NOT using them. I have the potassium flavor if that matters.

K-meta is used initially to kill or stunt wild yeast and other microorganism. It's typical to inoculate a day later, after the k-meta has done its job. It can be used with any recipe I know of.

Although commercial yeast will kill or crowd out competition, IMO there is value in eliminating that competition before it begins.

Typically prepared / canned fruits and juices don't need to be "treated for wild yeast or other bacteria etc. Most have been pasturized, or otherwise treated to minimize or remove bacteria/yeast/ Fresh fruits can, carry all sorts of little critters on them. so K-Meta / Campden tablets help 'clean up' and rid the fruit of unwanted 'guests.' As for wild yeast its not likely to outright kill it but it should stunt it;s growth and allow your prepared yeast cells to get a headstart and dominate the fermentation.

I think a grocery store is similar to a hospital rather than the garden when it comes to micro nasties.

You are incorrect in this point. I worked in wholesale grocery and retail grocery. ALWAYS wash all produce, and cans, there are probably more, but just assume that your item may have fallen into a mop bucket (or worse), and is generally not clean! When the lid of the can falls into your item, it's contaminated. Grocery stores are generally NOT clean places, visually - yes, but the 'micro nasties' are still there, in abundance!

You are incorrect in this point. I worked in wholesale grocery and retail grocery. ALWAYS wash all produce, and cans, there are probably more, but just assume that your item may have fallen into a mop bucket (or worse), and is generally not clean! When the lid of the can falls into your item, it's contaminated. Grocery stores are generally NOT clean places, visually - yes, but the 'micro nasties' are still there, in abundance!
I KNEW IT 🤢.

I worked in a banquet hall as a teen and what passed in the kitchen… well let’s not dwell on that. If you have ever had kids you should have come to the realization that we humans are actually pretty hard to kill 😂

. . . you should have come to the realization that we humans are actually pretty hard to kill 😂

A lot of people are unaware. 'How did I get sick?', 'it must be the bug going around', 'I wear my mask everywhere!' Surprise!

(. . . but people DO die from these.)

. . . and, 'are you kidding me' on the above picture!
Legs splayed, butt right on the wraps, of course flip flops are the chosen attire!
I wonder if she farted?

Last edited:
A lot of people are unaware. 'How did I get sick?', 'it must be the bug going around', 'I wear my mask everywhere!' Surprise!

(. . . but people DO die from these.)

. . . and, 'are you kidding me' on the above picture!
Legs splayed, butt right on the wraps, of course flip flops are the chosen attire!
I wonder if she farted?
Yeah. Unfortunately as we get older it gets easier. I marvel that my kids lived past the age of four. Just the things I caught them trying to eat 🤮. When they finally passed that stage they started trying to physically break their bodies 😂.

OH NO NO NO. My sarcasm was a bit too vague. Sorry, I should have been clearer. Hospitals are FILLED with all kinds of beasts. Nasty, horrible, filthy places. And all those nasties are co-habitating with other nasties making NEW nasties. My point was that grocery stores are just as filthy as hospitals. I give them credit, they try. But if there's a convenient food source that's the place to be! Add to that all the filthy, coughing, sneezing customers touching everything!!!!!!!! YIKES!

K-meta is used initially to kill or stunt wild yeast and other microorganism. It's typical to inoculate a day later, after the k-meta has done its job. It can be used with any recipe I know of.

Although commercial yeast will kill or crowd out competition, IMO there is value in eliminating that competition before it begins.
Thank you!
It just seemed odd that some recipes used it and others did not.
For shitsngiggles I'll use it until there's a reason not to.

It just seemed odd that some recipes used it and others did not.
For shitsngiggles I'll use it until there's a reason not to.
I've gone back-n-forth on it, but currently believe that there's no reason to not add K-meta to everything except kits/concentrates.

Latest posts

Back