Basic Campden tablet question? When to use

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made one 5-6 gallon batch of banana wine. I used a whole 40 Lb box of organic bananas, peels and all. An explosion of banana flavor that wine is!
I would not use non-organic bananas, at least the peels, some nasty fungicides are used on banana plantations and from what I've read they remain in the peel. Let them go nearly black too then froze them and sliced them in a Cuisinart food processor.
@FlamingoEmporium that's nice you can grow your own. With 80 Lbs you should be able to get at least 12 gallons of wine, maybe more.

I made one 5-6 gallon batch of banana wine. I used a whole 40 Lb box of organic bananas, peels and all. An explosion of banana flavor that wine is!
I would not use non-organic bananas, at least the peels, some nasty fungicides are used on banana plantations and from what I've read they remain in the peel. Let them go nearly black too then froze them and sliced them in a Cuisinart food processor.
@FlamingoEmporium that's nice you can grow your own. With 80 Lbs you should be able to get at least 12 gallons of wine, maybe more.
Fantastic!
I freeze all my other fruit and was wondering about the banana.
Most recipes seem to call for 3#'s per gallon. I was going to kick that up closer to 5 since that's what I bought.

Your "explosion of banana flavor" sounds like a positive endorsement. Would you make it again?

Agree. Why some and not others? Flowers aren’t easily washed, so wild stuff is unavoidable. Bananas don’t use the peel, at least I hope not, so your ok there. Cabbage? Sounds awful to me, maybe no one made it to call him out on it, lol. Maybe the recipe says to wash the cabbage.
The cabbage was a serendipitous matter of timing. I was intrigued by cabbage wine AND I'm almost out of sauerkraut. I'll prep the cabbage for kraut and some will go here, some will go there. I've been smitten with using red cabbage for my kraut. The color is absolutely beautiful and I think it tastes better! Using the red cabbage for wine was the obvious choice to me.

Fantastic!
I freeze all my other fruit and was wondering about the banana.
Most recipes seem to call for 3#'s per gallon. I was going to kick that up closer to 5 since that's what I bought.

Your "explosion of banana flavor" sounds like a positive endorsement. Would you make it again?
Yes, I would with one change. The recipe I followed called for golden grapes in the secondary. and it is very sweet so I'd cut way back on them. It fermented fairly dry, to 0.998 iirc. I found the recipe on homebrewtalk, posted by Yooper iirc, who I believe is or was a member and possibly a moderator here and there. It is the kind of wine where you love it or hate it, most do not care for the sweetness level but I've seen more than one person polish off a whole bottle by themself at family holiday gatherings. I made it in 2015, one of my first two batches of wine I made that year.

Yes, I would with one change. The recipe I followed called for golden grapes in the secondary. and it is very sweet so I'd cut way back on them. It fermented fairly dry, to 0.998 iirc. I found the recipe on homebrewtalk, posted by Yooper iirc, who I believe is or was a member and possibly a moderator here and there. It is the kind of wine where you love it or hate it, most do not care for the sweetness level but I've seen more than one person polish off a whole bottle by themself at family holiday gatherings. I made it in 2015, one of my first two batches of wine I made that year.
Thanks!
I"ll keep that in mind about the raisins.
I'm familiar with homebrewtalk. Show up in searches. Didn't interest me enough to get more involved. Wine definitely takes a back seat to beer.

I made a banana wine from non-organic bananas but I didn't use peels. 20lbs of bananas per 6 gallons. Still a lot of flavors but next time I will use more bananas.

I KNEW IT 🤢.

I worked in a banquet hall as a teen and what passed in the kitchen… well let’s not dwell on that. If you have ever had kids you should have come to the realization that we humans are actually pretty hard to kill 😂
McDonalds.

Latest posts

Back