Basement Too Cold

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebelwalker1

Junior
Reaction score
My bubblers were bubbling too slow. I checked the temperature in my basement and it was only 62. I wrapped six 5 gal carboys with an electric blanket and brought the carboy temp up to 75. Now they are all bubbling like crazy like they should be.

even at 62 they are fine, sometimes having a slow ferment makes for a better wine.

After two weeks my Blackberry went from 1.13 to only 1.10 that is too slow for me. But thanks for the advice.

What yeast did you use, rebelwalker? And are your carboys airlocked?

Lalvin EC 1116 yes they are airlocked that is the bubbles I am talking about. I now have the electric blanket at its lowest setting and it is holding at 75 degrees inside the blanket tent.

During initial fermentation, I leave in a bucket with the lid sitting on top. My wines don't see glass until they are 1.000 or lower.

Fresh blackberries? So you have a layer of fruit sitting on top of liquid? If so, you might consider taking the airlock off and giving it a good stir, and repeat daily. Did you add yeast nutrients?

Bit tricky getting an idea of the situation without a more detailed account of ingredients and process etc

Vintners Best Blackberry Puree no solids in the carboy. yeast nutrient and yeast and campden tabs are all you have to add besides water.

Vitners puree will start at 1.077 for 10% but I added 10 lbs sugar to bring it up to 1.13. My yeast is good for 16% but if there is sugar left over when the yeast dies I will not have to back sweeten it.

I've never used a puree for a primary so others will be of more help than me but i'd still try giving it some air and stirring it daily as an option. 1.113 to 1.110 in 2 weeks is pretty slow at those temps.

That is what I thought now that the carboys are at 75 degrees there is constant bubbles coming out of the airlock so the sg should be dropping at a better rate now. I did not have open primarys until now I started making wine again after 10 years of not doing it. I had some 5 gal water jugs (carboys) that I used. I have since bought 2 7.9 primary buckets.

You don't watch enough "old" movies or movies about olden times. Friar Tuck, the famed fermenter, and others took advantage of Mother Earth's natural refrigerators (caves and dungeons). Any references to wine storage most often directs you to the "cellar". Most all winemaking reading will make mention of the benefits of cool temps especially for fruitier white wines. Heartier Reds have been found to ferment better at the warmer temps though not a mandate for a decent wine. It's "all about the yeast" and what it likes!!!! AND another lesson in PATIENCE!!!

I think I am back on track now with my wine. The real thing that I did not do was stir oxygen into the must. The electric blanket idea saved me some money because I already had one I was not using.

Yes, I wouldn't airlock while in primary fermentation and you need to stir them daily. Oxygen is important for the fermentation process.

Latest posts

Back