Other Barrels vs Carboys for bulk aging kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dang it. So, now I would like yo have a pleasant conversation with them to see if they can get barrels made for wine. But, if I insult them it won’t go as planned.

@justsipn this was one of the reasons I spent the money and ordered from two different suppliers and shared my findings (one East Coast and one West Coast), as most out there are just wanting to sell a barrel and can be indeed sketchy. I still haven’t found an American oak barrel supplier that I am comfortable with yet (I want one French, one Hungarian and one American). There are some on a few wine making supply websites, but in researching them, they are not the thicker 1” staves that I want (likely why the only sell for $150).

So, what is the difference between char and toast?
Think of it as the difference between charcoal and wood.

Could you not just take a wire wheel to the inside of the barrel and remove the char?
I could, but I'm lazy so I'd buy a toasted barrel.

I'm being tongue-in-cheek on the topic, but there are serious differences between wine and whiskey barrels. Look up the characteristics of heavy toast for winemaking, take that to the max, then hop twice. That's a whiskey barrel.

Used bourbon barrels are a fad in winemaking, and produce good wine. Keep in mind that bourbon must be aged in a new barrel for a minimum of 2 years, so a used bourbon barrel is neutral or close to it. Buying a new whiskey barrel is a horse of a different color.

I have now loaded the Bochart barrel as well. I filled it with boiling water and let sit 24 hrs. Not a single leak!
This is good to know. I avoided Bochart because the company seemed sketchy. There are no businesses at their listed addresses. The only reviews I could find were on Amazon and very negative. If you're having success, that is encouraging. Got any wine in that barrel yet? Sometimes wine can find leaks that water can't.

This is good to know. I avoided Bochart because the company seemed sketchy. There are no businesses at their listed addresses. The only reviews I could find were on Amazon and very negative. If you're having success, that is encouraging. Got any wine in that barrel yet? Sometimes wine can find leaks that water can't.
Sure do, it’s loaded with an RJS EP Cab Sauv and not a single leak 👍

Latest posts

Back