Barrels from kit to grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marino

Reaction score
Hi, I have a few Vadai barrels that all have wine kits in them. My Sangiovese bucket and grape wine could really spend some time in the barrel. The Sangiovese went through MLF, so QUESTION:

Will putting the sangio in the barrel previously used for the kit adversely affect my sangio? Also, will any left over MLF get into my wood and make the barrel usable only for MLF wines? I know a similar conversation is around here somewhere but the question was somewhat the reverse of what I was asking.

Thanks!

There is a risk of MLB from the Sangio getting into the wood which is a lovely place to hide and grow and be happy so if you go back to a kit you risk it undergoing MLF once the SO2 levels drop down to favorable. MLF and Kit wines are not good together. Best practice is to not go back and forth but to pick one or the other or have two barrels, one for kits and one for fresh grapes etc.

There is a risk of MLB from the Sangio getting into the wood which is a lovely place to hide and grow and be happy so if you go back to a kit you risk it undergoing MLF once the SO2 levels drop down to favorable. MLF and Kit wines are not good together. Best practice is to not go back and forth but to pick one or the other or have two barrels, one for kits and one for fresh grapes etc.

Thanks! I thought I'd have to get two barrels, so now I have no choice!

Thanks! I thought I'd have to get two barrels, so now I have no choice! =)

Latest posts

Back