Barrel questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep my barrels in <69 degree "cold box" I've run plenty of 60's and a few 30's through there, with low humidity. The theory is that low humidity level will give you more water evaporation and in higher humidity levels you will lose alcohol.

Very interesting, I like the idea of losing water but wonder how it affects the ABV since it is stated you are losing PRIMARILY water I can only imagine you are losing some alcohol as well.

Great timing on this thread! Also thanks Mike for that old info on temp & humidity vrs water & alcohol loss. I have a 40L and 23L barrel. At 68* and 45-50% humidity I lose about a bottle of top off wine every 2 ish weeks. That seemed Excessive to me, glad I'm losing mostly water. Been wanting to post & ask the question, so thanks all for the info. Roy

I keep my barrels in <69 degree "cold box" I've run plenty of 60's and a few 30's through there, with low humidity. The theory is that low humidity level will give you more water evaporation and in higher humidity levels you will lose alcohol.

My basement gets as high as 75 in the summer, but I think with a few changes I can keep it in the mid 60's. I may need to get a de-humidifier.

Very interesting, I like the idea of losing water but wonder how it affects the ABV since it is stated you are losing PRIMARILY water I can only imagine you are losing some alcohol as well.

There is going to be "angel's share", in one way or the other, I think no matter what. Trying to feel out the best ways to mitigate that.

I add a bottle every 4-6 weeks. So, say 10 bottles per year. 60 gallons = 300 bottles

Assume your wine is 15% alcohol, 82% water and 3% everything else.

Also assume the evaporation was all water, after a year of topping this is what the barrel would look like:

15.5% alcohol, 81.4% water and 3.1% everything else.

Not a huge change; alcohol and flavor increase by 3.3%, water goes down .7%. The barrel also provides the micro ox as well.

Latest posts

Back