Barrel Evaporates quickly?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
I have a 5.1 gallon american oak barrel. It is now neutral and has its 4th wine residing inside, a barolo.

I have noticed that once a month I have to top up right to the plug, which then over flows when I cork it.

I have read that you loose something like 10% in the first few weeks but it slows down after that. However I am topping up with 1 bottle a month. Is this correct?
Is this normal?
Is there something I should be doing to prevent this or just continue to top up?

Secondly, all the wax I had used to seal the barrel has been pushed out of the barrel (like play-do squeezed through your fingers).
the barrel does not leak, but I was not sure if this was due to shift in pressure and humidity?

:dg

Where did you buy you barrel from?

I have no idea, my wife snagged it for a holiday gift.
But it may be from American Oak Barrel Company.
But I can not specifically confirm not deny that information.

That sounds about right. Depending on conditions, I can lose between 375 and 750ml in a month.

I top up at least every two weeks to the tune of about 375 per month. 750 per month sounds a bit high to me but I imagine it depends on atmospheric conditions, temp, humidity and so on where your barrel is stored.

Wow. If you guys are loosing that much in the barrel, I think I'll stick to glass carboys and oak swirls.

Hmm... if it is evaporating, does that mean the wine is becoming concentrated?

Yep. :dg

I had a Carmenere in a 6 gallon barrel for 21 weeks and lost almost a gallon in the process. But it was totally worth it.

Wow. If you guys are loosing that much in the barrel, I think I'll stick to glass carboys and oak swirls.

Yep. Many of us long for when our barrels become neutral so we get the comcentration without the oaking. I do my oaking as rich says in glass carboys and oak swirls (spirals).

the smaller the barrel the larger the surface area to wine ratio , so you get faster evaporation.

a 60 gallon winery barrel evaporates (depending on ambient humidity) approximately one bottle a month.

if you are storing your small barrel in a place without much humidity , combined with the small size , you are going to get very high evaporation rates.

Can you post a photo of your barrel's end? Just want to see how thick the oak staves are.

I top up my barrel this weekend, it only required 1/2 a .750 litre bottle.
So I guess I did not lose as much as I was thinking.

However, while I may be loosing more than I would storing in a glass carboy, The change to the taste is well worth it.
The dreaded KT is all but vanished.

It's perfectly proportionate to the size of the barrel.

Sorry I thought the picture was of Elmer's barrel. I don't know the size of your barrel, TonyT, so I cannot form an opinion from the picture.

Latest posts

Back