WineXpert Barolo vs. Cellar Craft Showcase Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was planing to get one last batch of wine for this year, a kit...and had my eyes on the WE Selection International Amarone (on sale at LHBSfor $110 as is last year's production).

So, I've only bought Winexpert kits and I see people saying that Cellar Craft is better and maybe because they were comparing WE Selection International versus CC Showcase which would be a higher end kit, but assume a true comparison would be WE Eclipse vs. CC Showcase.

So then I said I could just get the WE Eclipse which is a high end but they don't have Amarone.

CC Showcase Amarone got my attention for a couple days but now the WE Eclipse Barolo is tempting as well as the CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo.

1. CC Showcase Amarone $131.99+8.95 shipping = $140.94
2. CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo $137.99+8.95 shipping = $146.94
3. WE Eclipse Barolo: $124.28+22.62 shipping = $146.90

What you think?

Last edited:
You can't go wrong with any of those. I'd say it comes down to personal taste and what you may already have in your cellar. Have you tried commercial Amarone? It is a wonderful, but somewhat unique wine. So you may want to try a few before plunging into a 30 bottle batch. ;)

In the lineup I have merlot in mlf; a blend of merlot and cab sav in mlf; some chilean malbec from juice bucket and chilean cab sav from juice bucket.

I went to a liquour store and couldn't find either Amarone or Barolo...poor italian wine selections....grrr

How's Barolo?

Last edited:
Barolo is called the king of wine. The taste is fruity and floral at the same time. Aroma usually comes off a bit more floral. Your liquor store may carry a Barbaresco a Barbera. One of those might give you a bit of an idea. That's not 60 dollars a bottle.

Last edited:
I was planing to get one last batch of wine for this year, a kit...and had my eyes on the WE Selection International Amarone (on sale at LHBSfor $110 as is last year's production).

So, I've only bought Winexpert kits and I see people saying that Cellar Craft is better and maybe because they were comparing WE Selection International versus CC Showcase which would be a higher end kit, but assume a true comparison would be WE Eclipse vs. CC Showcase.

So then I said I could just get the WE Eclipse which is a high end but they don't have Amarone.

CC Showcase Amarone got my attention for a couple days but now the WE Eclipse Barolo is tempting as well as the CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo.

1. CC Showcase Amarone $131.99+8.95 shipping = $140.94
2. CC Showcase Rosso Fortissimo $137.99+8.95 shipping = $146.94
3. WE Eclipse Barolo: $124.28+22.62 shipping = $146.90

What you think?

I've only made EP Amarone so I can't speak to the CC one, but the WE Eclipse Barolo was my first non Spagnols grape pack kit, and I'd say that it has impressed me to this point. Bulk aging it right now, going into my barrel when the EP Amarone comes out in a month or so. To this point, it is just as good as the EP kits.

Difference for me is I like the dry skin kits better than the Goop skin kits, just easier to deal with and seem to produce better tannins. WE Eclipse kits come with the goop skin kits, EP is dry skins, not sure the the CC showcase comes with

Barolo can have a distinctive tar and rose aroma to it that is actually pleasant. It's typically pretty tannic, full-bodied, and acidic...especially in the traditional style. The wine is also more of a garnet or brick red color. If you can't find (or afford) a good Barolo, look for a Nebbiolo wine. That's the grape they use to make Barolo.

I haven't made the CC Showcase Amarone, but from what I understand it comes with a large amount of wet grape skins.

Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the kits. It's more a question of your own tastes. Not everyone would like Amarone or Barolo, for example.

Usually I would choose any CC Showcase over any WE untill I tried an Eclipse. Youre on your own deciding its a toss up for me.

Last edited:
Tony....I don't have my decoder ring...LOL......no more posting after drinking a great bottle of Amarone!....LMAO

Ive done a cellar craft amarone and a cellercraft LE nebbiolo(barolo) and the Rosso fortissimo

Hands down my favorite is the Rosso Fortissimo

But I really like the Nebbiolo and the Amarone too! And just to be clear , there are many of the kit wines i've made that I'm not too fond of.

Tony....I don't have my decoder ring...LOL......no more posting after drinking a great bottle of Amarone!....LMAO
Busted, I dont even know what I was trying to say. Hahaha. After all that Amarone was 15%.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back