Barbera Malolactic Ferm help?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesdNorcal

Reaction score
thanks for all the advice/suggestions on my barbera. I’m day 3 in to my ferm. Brix @ 14 now (26 starting). PH is 3.15.

I had picked up the WLP475 Malolactic starter earlier... reading the instructions, it says to add at 5 Brix into the must before pressing. It also says if sulfites above 10ppm, WLP475= no bueno. I added Camden tables at crush get to around 30-35ppm.

Should I forget the WLP475 and find a different malolactic starter that can handle the sulfites? Do you add before pressing?

thanks for all the advice/suggestions on my barbera. I’m day 3 in to my ferm. Brix @ 14 now (26 starting). PH is 3.15.

I had picked up the WLP475 Malolactic starter earlier... reading the instructions, it says to add at 5 Brix into the must before pressing. It also says if sulfites above 10ppm, WLP475= no bueno. I added Camden tables at crush get to around 30-35ppm.

Should I forget the WLP475 and find a different malolactic starter that can handle the sulfites? Do you add before pressing?

I responded to your PM a few minutes ago.

Yes, I meant wlp675... Johnd recommended getting VP41 on the must. I’ll do that.

would you guys add the wlp675 after press just for an extra boost (maybe Sulfites down far enough) or is it not good to have the VP42 and the WLP going together??

btw, I’m day 4 of ferm. Brix is down to 9. My PH has climbed from 3.07 at crush to 3.27 today. Hopefully, with mlf, the PH rise another .2 to get me closer to 3.4-3.5.

Yeah. I already have it. Rookie mistake, that’s what my wine/beer making store recommended. I can’t believe the stupid directions on the WPL. Add to must at 5 brix. however must can’t have over 10ppm so2.

I do have the WPL, think I’ll add the WPL after pressing for an extra kick.

Latest posts

Back