Banana's in my Lee's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torch404

Reaction score
How long would you leave banana pulp sitting at the bottom of a secondary?

I made some orange juice wine and tossed in a couple of bananas. Everything went fine and amazingly it has completely cleared after about a month. Now I'm looking at the lees which seem somewhat compacted and these chunks of banana and I'm wondering how long is safe to have the soft fruit in there. I'd hate to move it and have all the lees get stirred back up. So How long would you leave it on the lees with bananas?
:db :db :db

I would rack now. Did you just "dump" bananas or did you heat them up to make a "soup"?

They were over ripe and frozen so I boiled them a bit but not too long. It was more of a lumpy soup but pretty mushy. The bit that are in there are little chunks attached to the stringers.

Cool, sounds good. Rack if wine went dry and add finning (meta & sorbate). If backsweeting or adding a f-pac do it after finning and before clearing.

I'd rack now. Get the wine off of the lees. If you get any more sediment you could rack again in a month. It should be clear by then.

I was reading a recipe for banana wine last night. Sounds good. Plus the orange wine sounds good too. Too many fruits, not enough carboys.

hells teeth that's a lot of lees!!

could have racked it off a bit earlier.. I use an inch of lees at the bottom as a guideline to rack, it'll be fine though as it hasn't been there long...

( can we have a photo of the rosemary flower and carrot greens wine? pwetty pwease?)

Allie :bt

I started this as I was moving to get rid of some old frozen juice in the freezer. It went for a couple of days and then I had to move it to a carboy where I easily discarded more lees then are in there right now. The bananas were floating at that point so they all made it in the carboy. I shoved all my bottles in the corner and haven't really gotten a chance to look at them til now. I am going to rack it this weekend, thanks for the advice everyone!!

-Tom
The wine is not nearly as dark as that picture makes it look. It is a deep golden color but because it's in a dark corner next to the fridge with some darker carboys behind it it looks that dark. I took two quick pictures one made the wine look normal but you couldn't see the lees as well. This one you could see the lees but the wine looks dark.

-St Allie
http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AWk0NumXRR9hZGc1NXQzOGdfMmNnN2Q1ZGc5&hl=en

Here is the link for my Rosemary/carrot green wine again, I've put a recent picture of it at the end. Please excuse how grubby the jug looks. I can't wait for that one to finish, the little taste I had early on was so nice. I love rosemary and it was pronounced but not overpowering. The greens did not really lend a taste but it seemed like the may have rounded out the flavor some. FYI picking rosemary flowers is a pain...more so if a two year old is trying to help :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back