Bananas for body? Questions and comments invited....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cant stand bananas either. The smell and texture makes me feel quite ill so wouldnt use them anyway. I have visions of them gonig disgusting too but thats my imagination at work anyay!

I use golden sultanas (Raisins) in a lot of my wines but in saying that, my apple wine that I have just bottled seems to lack in body and I used them in that. It tasted divine otherwise which for a new wine Im pleased as it should be really nice when its matured.

This glycerol, where would you buy it from?

Thanks for thatTom.

Steve? out of interest, the wines you said you could taste the banana in.. were they grape kits or fruit wines?

Allie

It was this Steve. I used bananas in a couple Wine Expert Vintners Reserve red kits and could taste it in both of them. A Cab and a Burgundy.

I added bananas to my Plum wine. An experiment, as they weren't in the recipe. I added 3 whole bananas with 10 lbs of black plums to make a 3 gallon batch. It seems most people here boil the bananas and add the water, whereas I simply blended the bananas together with the plums in a blender and then fermented them all !

I think they went OK, the fermentation went well, no strange floating mashed banana clumps, as I guess they were well and truly blended with much greater quantities of plum.

After about 3 months, I can't taste any hint of banana in the wine at all.

Bananas are locally produced and inexpensive for me (verses raisons). I have been using bananas on all of my fruit wines - I rinse them in K Meta, slice with skins on (1/2 of the bananas) and freeze them. I understand that the skins add tannin. Banana residue will leak through the bag, but I have observed that they will all get dissolved as the wine is clearing. I have also added them to SunCal grape juice concentrates (reds) and can't really tell any difference....

I am planning to do a banana wine in the very near future and will add a SunCal white concentrate (riesling maybe) to the mix.

I don't see any reason here NOT to use them :)

Back