bananas and raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dufresne11

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just trying to get a sense of what is better/preferred and why. I just bottled a terrific merlot I made from juice. Bulk aged it for a year and bottled last week. It is awesome except for being a little thin.

I have read about how many of you add banana or raisins to your juice to give it some body. Can people tell me what you use, how you use it, and why?

I am picking up 12 gallons at M&M in Hartford tomorrow so I am interested in using one or both soon

Hi All,

Just trying to get a sense of what is better/preferred and why. I just bottled a terrific merlot I made from juice. Bulk aged it for a year and bottled last week. It is awesome except for being a little thin.

I have read about how many of you add banana or raisins to your juice to give it some body. Can people tell me what you use, how you use it, and why?

I am picking up 12 gallons at M&M in Hartford tomorrow so I am interested in using one or both soon

I make ALOT of wine from CA,Italy and Chile from juice. They (reds) seem to be thin yet have great flavor.
Adding raisins and banana (soup) will add body / mouthfeel. The raisins is like adding skins to a kit. I would also Oak the reds. I like 2 cups per 6 gal. I use 2+ #'s of raisins per 6 gal.

Tom and I just had this conversation as a p.m. though. Add the soup and raisins to your juice when you add your yeast.

Remove the raisins around 1.010 and remember to punch down daily or twice daily to mix in oxygen and to slow the oxidation on the raisins.

Tom and I just had this conversation as a p.m. though. Add the soup and raisins to your juice when you add your yeast.

Remove the raisins around 1.010 and remember to punch down daily or twice daily to mix in oxygen and to slow the oxidation on the raisins.
OMG !
You read it! LOL
Yep add to primary.

Latest posts

Back