Banana wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefman

Reaction score
I've been cleaning out the freezer to make room for the Christmas Turkey and Ham.
I've got about 20 plus pounds of bananas I'd like to make into wine.
I've c=scanned through the recipes forum, found a few recipes, but I was wanting to see who's made a batch recently and your recipe.
Anyone want to share?

Also, the main difference I see in the recipes I have is that some boil down the bananas and strain the juice out, while others just slice them up and through into the primary.
What's the preferred method?

I haven't made a banana wine but I won't boil the fruit, you lose flavor when you boil the fruit and banana is a pretty mild flavor to begin with

Last year I made a banana wine, more or less dragon blood style, and it came out pretty good. Great banana taste and smell. About 12 lbs. bananas, frozen then thawed, sliced in a mesh bag added to three gallons of water. Sugar to Sg of 1.085. It did take about three or four months to clear up.

Beano Joe

Last edited:
Julie,
Thanks, I didn't think about losing flavor. I won't cook them.
Beano,
Did you peel the bananas or leave the skins on? I'm seeing most comments on other threads doing it both ways, but I suspect more flavor with peels on?

Julie,
Thanks, I didn't think about losing flavor. I won't cook them.
Beano,
Did you peel the bananas or leave the skins on? I'm seeing most comments on other threads doing it both ways, but I suspect more flavor with peels on?

Reefman,

Skins on, fully dressed! I did cut off the ends though. Try to slice while they are still frozen/partialy frozen or you will have a squishy mess.

Beano

Back