banana wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder2000

Reaction score
I was wondering when I taste my banana wine for the first time. What should I expect when it hits me?

If it is dry what takes that away?
What can I use to give it more banana flavor if I want that result.
What method do I use to make it sweeter if its not sweet enough for me?
I have figured out I like semi-sweet/semi-dry.
I want that to be the end result if possible.

Well, for the sweetening, after you stabilize the wine with some sorbate so you don't promote a new fermentation you can either make a simple sugar solution of 2 parts of sugar to one part boiled water or you can use some Wine Conditioner, or you could use some honey. When you back sweeten you add a little at a time and taste a small sample until it suits your taste. Go slow and easy so you don't over sweeten.

Many times a dry wine will not represent the fruit flavor but after you back sweeten a bit, you will find the flavors more pronounced and forward. I have never made a banana wine so I am not sure what you might use to enhance more banana flavor into it.

Smurfe :)

I was wondering when I taste my banana wine for the first time. What should I expect when it hits me?

If it is dry what takes that away?
What can I use to give it more banana flavor if I want that result.
What method do I use to make it sweeter if its not sweet enough for me?
I have figured out I like semi-sweet/semi-dry.
I want that to be the end result if possible.
Adding sorbate (with sulphite) will allow you to sweeten your wine with whatever sugar you want. Be careful with honey unless you really like it as a flavouring - It can be too much.
As far as adding more 'banana' taste you'll struggle. Banana is more of a 'body' ingredient to wine - like raisins are.

Banana WIne question

I just can't grasp the idea of banana wine and what the taste would be. Can anyone describe the taste / texture for me? Thanks

Banana wine question

So more of an after dinner or desert wine?

The recipe I used, ( recipe # 2 in the recipe section) boils the bananas first, which drives off the banana flavour, so the finished wine is more of a chardonnay. No banana flavour at all.

Allie

The screaming yellow one 3rd from the right is my banana which is all gone now as it was a big hit and would be 3 1/2 years old now. Gots to make me some more of that stuff.

The Full Monty.jpg

How about telling us what the WHOLE lineup is.. :b

Wade ,

All your big carboys make me envious.. I want them!

Allie :p

This is an old picture so Im not 100% positive on every 1.
From right to left is RJS EP Amarone, Crab Apple, Raspberry, Banana, Blueberry Melomel, and Plum

does the blueberry clear more than that Wade?

that's a really dark wine..

Allie

BIG?
Thats normal for a 6 gallon carboy. How big are "yours"?

I have one 1 x 27 litre carboy, all the rest are 5 litres each ( 1 gallon).. I have 22 of those and one 11 litre carboy. saving my pennies up for the 23 litre ones.

Allie

I have no idea at what stage that is but i use a lot of fruit in my wines and Blueberry does stay pretty dark plus the lighting might be off in that corner.

I have one 1 x 27 litre carboy, all the rest are 5 litres each ( 1 gallon).. I have 22 of those and one 11 litre carboy. saving my pennies up for the 23 litre ones.

Allie
I have 30 something 23 liter (6gallon) and 6 - 20 liter (5 gallon) + 4 - 5 liter (1 gallon) carboys Most of the time the 6 gallon carboys are FULL
Last few days I bottled 15 cases. :d :b

Latest posts

Back