Banana Wine- That's 10 Wines In The Last 10 Days.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be starting my 2nd Banana wine in a few days. The first one was bananas only and this time I will add 2 lbs of frozen raspberries and i'm thinking also about a few pieces of dried mandarin peels (what do you guys think about it?). Now, I am using non-organic bananas and I will use peels as well. Last time bananas were peeled. I have a veggie wash and I'm not sure if I can use it to remove anything that's on the skins.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4646.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4646.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 0
  • thumbnail_IMG_4647.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4647.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
I will be starting my 2nd Banana wine in a few days. The first one was bananas only and this time I will add 2 lbs of frozen raspberries and i'm thinking also about a few pieces of dried mandarin peels (what do you guys think about it?). Now, I am using non-organic bananas and I will use peels as well. Last time bananas were peeled. I have a veggie wash and I'm not sure if I can use it to remove anything that's on the skins.
Personally I use organic ingredients for my wines whenever possible.

Organic bananas are usually .10/lb more expensive here (trivial!) and if I'm lucky I get there when they have them marked down for being browned and/or spotty - a deal!

The potassium hydroxide in the Veggie Wash is a hazard in large quantities:

https://www.flinnsci.com/sds_634-potassium-hydroxide/sds_634/
And I never knew so many chemicals were used for bananas:

https://www.chemservice.com/news/why-do-bananas-require-so-many-pesticides/
I prefer simple and pure so I don't have to think about it.

I started my banana wine today. It will sit with kmeta till tomorrow but everything was added. 60lbs of bananas. 30 lbs of organic with peels and 30 lbs peeled. it's 10 gallon must. I added lemon juice from 4 lemons. I'm surprised with a very high pH - 4.7. I measured twice. pH meter is calibrated. In a few hours (World Cup!) I will add some acid blend to bring it down.

I started my banana wine today. It will sit with kmeta till tomorrow but everything was added. 60lbs of bananas. 30 lbs of organic with peels and 30 lbs peeled. it's 10 gallon must. I added lemon juice from 4 lemons. I'm surprised with a very high pH - 4.7. I measured twice. pH meter is calibrated. In a few hours (World Cup!) I will add some acid blend to bring it down.
Yeow! Somebody likes banana wine. Good luck!

Yeow! Somebody likes banana wine. Good luck!
my last finished with #3-6 gal carboys, 136 lb. banana, gone black, 40 lb. apples, 5 lb. jumbo golden raisin's and about 30 gal pure apple juice,, of which I still have #1- 6 gal carboy yet to bottle, it is just over 2 years of bulk age, of course it is a ABV of around 15/16%. plenty of fruit and back sweetening, and will/is smooth as silk with no alcohol taste, the higher the ABV, the more fruit and back sweetening to balance the wine, of course that is the reason for using apple juice instead of water, looks black in the carboy, deep rich golden in the wine glass, :ib
Dawg,

Damn. I reread the recipe. The amount of acid blend was in tbsp and not tsp. That's 3 x more than i added. After adding the right amount pH is 3.5. You live and learn! Now different sources say bananas are between ph 6 to 4.5. So now it explains why the recipe call for a large amount of acid blend.

Personally I use organic ingredients for my wines whenever possible.

Organic bananas are usually .10/lb more expensive here (trivial!) and if I'm lucky I get there when they have them marked down for being browned and/or spotty - a deal!

The potassium hydroxide in the Veggie Wash is a hazard in large quantities:

https://www.flinnsci.com/sds_634-potassium-hydroxide/sds_634/
And I never knew so many chemicals were used for bananas:

https://www.chemservice.com/news/why-do-bananas-require-so-many-pesticides/
I prefer simple and pure so I don't have to think about it.
Why organic? Isn't that just a scam to those of us who are fine with GMOs? Is it because pesticides might interfere with yeasts?

Why organic? Isn't that just a scam to those of us who are fine with GMOs? Is it because pesticides might interfere with yeasts?
I'm going to stay away commenting on "scams" since many of them have been embraced by large portions of the population.

As I personal choice I want my food (and wine) to be as clean and natural as possible. Insecticides are a concern but it has nothing to do with yeast activity. Some foods have dozens of insecticides that have fun side affects - carcinogens, hormone disruptors, neurotoxins, developmental or reproductive toxins, and of course honeybee toxins. Many are banned in other countries.

Not preaching. Like I said, personal choice.

Latest posts

Back