banana wine SG high

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunder2000

Reaction score
I started this wine three days ago the SG was 15. I was thinking should be around where I want it. Well today I checked it and it has creeped to 19 for its SG. I can only figure I didnt allow for the sugar in the fruit. Will this wine be to strong. I was thinking of pitching it. I want something I can drink that wont be to strong tasting. Any thing I can do for it?

First, I don't understand your sg reading. They are usually 1.085 or 1.010 or .995. Are you reading the BRIX column of your hydrometer?

Second, what yeast did you pitch?

Steve

Starting at 1.140 gives a potential alcohol about 18%.

I just checked three different charts on yeast and get three different max alcohol ratings: 18-20%, 16%, 12-14%.

BTW, never pitch any wine. It will improve with age.

Good luck, Steve

I made a gallon last time. It was great! Just didn't last long. This time going for six gallons.

making a banana wine myself..Thunder2000?.. how long did you leave it before drinking?

18% cool. Banana flavored rocket fuel, gotta love that!:D

Sid, Allie and I have been discussing this very subject in another thread. I appear to have a batch of that 19% ABV stuff here myself, and for the life of me all I can figure out is that the starches in the bananas are acting as a lil' rocket fuel factory of their own in addition to the sugars and raisins used. I knew that rice would do that in home made sake, but had no idea that bananas would do it too.

Anyway, I'm not phoning the Iranian government with my "reactor" plans, as them folks seem to be dangerous when it comes to any enriched fuel systems.

Right now I don't think I'll use it as a blender - I think I'll try to come up with some concoction that would do Buffett proud (Jimmy, not Warren) and sit on the porch swing strumming my six string til the neighbors have me hauled away. Being as the nearest one is about a quarter mile, I *might* just get through the whole gallon before I decide to throw every gol' darned ONE of them bahrs off the mountain!

Latest posts

Back