Banana wine sediment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battleox

Junior
Reaction score
I’ve made a few wines already and turned out amazing, I came across a banana wine and thought I’d give it a go. With my other wines they foamed but a bit initially and calmed down but this banana wine is an entirely different beast not sure if I need to filter better at the next racking but I have a large sediment later floating in the top of my 6.5gl carboy. Anyone else run into this or anyone with suggestions, during racking took a small test sample and doesn’t have any off flavors as of yet.IMG_0002.JPG

The CO2 doesn’t seem to be bothered by it, bubbles up and out the airlock without any trouble

When it’s time to rack I would pour it through a cheesecloth to get rid of most of that. It it normal for banana wine to do this

That’s what I thought, when I racked it the first time there was a layer and I auto siphoned leaving it behind but I think this time I’ll just pour the whole thing out through a cheese cloth as suggested thanks. Tastes amazing so far can’t wait to try this next winter maybe one bottle in the late spring

Got around to racking it again, checked FG and it came out 1.000 so my final abv for the banana is at 11.26%, only question is will it balance out with aging? This is my 4th wine the others I made I didn’t even age they tasted so good we enjoyed them with friends. Waiting for it to clear and I’ll be bottling

Recommendations for any added flavoring to add while I’m waiting for it to clear or just prior to bottling or during bottling?

I’d recommend that you stabilize it and backsweeten to about 1.008 to 1.014, (to taste). Banana needs some sweetness to come out. IMHO

Agree, way too much headspace. That wine is going to oxidize if it hasn't already.

Also, Just my opinion but your wine is not close to being clear. Several weeks away if not months.

Hasn’t oxidized yet so I’m in high hopes, I’m already in the process of getting more 1 gallon carboys, the 5 gallon was too much for me to take on right now, and it’s banana so a lot of sediment and some liquid was lost during racking the mix berry is doing really well

Banana is becoming on of my favorites. And adding some brewers best natural chocolate really does a number.

After racking once the chocolate has finished its job, I’m assuming it will have a slightly darker color to it correct? It’s completely clear just a lil dark not cloudy....did the ones you did with chocolate come out a lil dark instead of the blonde?

IMG_0002.JPG

Banana Clearing pretty nice I can finally see all the way through easily the mix berry is almost at the same point hard to tell with the deep red colorIMG_0002.JPG

After racking once the chocolate has finished its job, I’m assuming it will have a slightly darker color to it correct? It’s completely clear just a lil dark not cloudy....did the ones you did with chocolate come out a lil dark instead of the blonde?
Just a bit, but not much darker

After racking off all that sediment I ended up with a lot less than I started with I’ve been stabilizing the wine from oxidation with every racking is the head space I have gonna be too much of an issue, I’m watching the airlocks to make sure their topped off

Latest posts

Back