banana wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank You, I'm plotting a batch! I was thinking about using my home-grown bananas, I still might for a second run, but they are not Chiquitas they have a slight vanilla flavor and they are softer than people like when they are ripe. But they may be good for wine.

115 lbs bananas, peeled and frozen
2 gallons apple juice
4 oz pectic enzyme
13 lbs sugar
7 tsp fermax
71b-1122

Another run:

57 lbs bananas
1 1/2 gal white grape juice
3 oz pectic enzyme
5 lb sugar
71b-1122

This is a good one:

57 lbs bananas
30 lbs frozen triple berry fruit (Walmart brand)
10 tablespoons pectic enzyme
10 lb sugar
I used s different yeast on this one, it’s not as “fruit forward” as the others but tasty non the less.

I know this is a pretty old thread, but here is the way I did my banana wine years ago. I tried blending with a peach wine but I found the banana flavor overpowered the lighter peach flavor, and by the time the banana flavor 'calmed down' the peach flavor was just a distant memory. I'll give the notes and a pic of the recipe.

Notes:Slice bananas into thin discs, leaving skins on fruit. Boiled loose in 4 1/2 qts water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 min. Pour through ferment-bag over sugar in primary fermentation vessel and stirring well to dissolve sugar, then place bag into bowl to catch drippings. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme and tannin, stirring again. When grain-bag cools, squeeze to extract as much liquid as possible and add liquid and drippings to liquor, discarding pulp. Put raisins in ferment bad and add to primary. Waited about 12 hrs then added yeast. Cover and set in warm place for seven days, stirring daily. Rack to carboy when SG reaches 1.04 Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit airlock, and move to cooler place, leaving undisturbed for two months. Siphon off sediment, add chopped raisins, and add water to bring to one gallon. Ferment another four months. Rack and allow to clear. Rack again and bottle. May taste after six months, but matures at two years.banana_wine_recipe.jpeg

I know this is a pretty old thread, but here is the way I did my banana wine years ago. I tried blending with a peach wine but I found the banana flavor overpowered the lighter peach flavor, and by the time the banana flavor 'calmed down' the peach flavor was just a distant memory. I'll give the notes and a pic of the recipe.

Notes:Slice bananas into thin discs, leaving skins on fruit. Boiled loose in 4 1/2 qts water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 30 min. Pour through ferment-bag over sugar in primary fermentation vessel and stirring well to dissolve sugar, then place bag into bowl to catch drippings. Add acid blend, pectic enzyme and tannin, stirring again. When grain-bag cools, squeeze to extract as much liquid as possible and add liquid and drippings to liquor, discarding pulp. Put raisins in ferment bad and add to primary. Waited about 12 hrs then added yeast. Cover and set in warm place for seven days, stirring daily. Rack to carboy when SG reaches 1.04 Pour into secondary fermentation vessel, fit airlock, and move to cooler place, leaving undisturbed for two months. Siphon off sediment, add chopped raisins, and add water to bring to one gallon. Ferment another four months. Rack and allow to clear. Rack again and bottle. May taste after six months, but matures at two years.

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!!
I'll be starting my batch whenever the darn bananas decide to ripen. Really taking their time!
I'm toying with the idea of using some brown sugar. In primary? For back sweetening? Still thinking....

Latest posts

Back