RJ Spagnols Banana Pineapple Voignier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
Just picked this kit up today and will up the abv by adding sugar till I reach 1.080. $45

"A mouth watering blend, the fragrant Viognier combines with the tropical flavours of banana and pineapple to create a perfect patio thirst-quencher. The acidity of the pineapple, the butteryness of the banana and the aromatic Viognier form a well balanced and refreshing drink.'

Sounds really nice Wade and a good price too.

Allie:b

Viognier - GOOD! Banana - YUCCCH!

Uh Wade, what was the date on the box???

Steve ::

I just mixed it all up and it took just over 3 lbs of sugar to get to 1.080.

You were right cp about the date codes and I fixed my link. I will admit that I retreived that info on all date codes from a very established member on finevinewines and never checked the accuracy. My date code was 20090210 (Feb.10, 2009!)

I rackd this wine yesterday and its tasting pretty good even without the f-pac.

I racked again today since it had a stable sg for 3 days in a row and added all the goodies. i snuck a taste of just the f-pac on this and all I can say is yummmmm!

Here;s a pic of this wine, note the carboy being tilted and the lees all on 1 side of the carboy for easy racking and no lees transfer next racking.

Banana pineapple.jpg

These mist kits go in the bottel pretty quick like as soon as they are crystal clear and dont drop anymore sediment.

I made this kit as well and I can't seem to get it to clear. I whipped it up very well like I do all my kits and it has been sitting for 3 weeks. I am filtering it as we speak and it's a little better but no where like it should be. What should I do?

I have never had trouble with this 2 part fining agent ever. You could try using some Isinglass as it a little easier on the wine, whats he temp of the wine?

Yeah I thought it was wierd too Wade, I never had trouble either. The temp is 72 degrees.

Wade,
I am really wondering if I did something wrong. It's hard to believe cause I have over 50 kits under my belt and never had a problem like this. I just added an additional 1 ounce of liquid Isinglass and whipped up the wine again. It's been 2 days since I did that and there is no sign of clearing at all, not a drop of any sediment on the bottom. Any ideas anyone? I really was looking forward to this one and now if I need to get another kit I gotta wait LONGER!!

Wine-O

Spagnols has been having occasional problems for some time (over 2 years anyway) with kits (especially OB) clearing. Back in 2007 when I ran an FoP, I added a dose of sparkolloid, and that cleared it up. I believe that the current recommendation from RJS is a second dose of chitosan. You might want to contact RJS (800 number on the instruction sheet).

Steve

Thats weird, I always have trouble with Winexpert kits but never a Spagnols. 2 days for Isinglass is nowhere near long enough though as that stuff isnt very fast working. Is it degassed very well? Ive had 1 or 2 kits(not Spagnols though) that were much gasier then others and I really had to put my vacuum pump to work on them.

I made this kit earlier in the year, it has been bottled for 3 months now
and probably 10 bottles have been consumed already............
my wife really likes it and i drink it too. Sometimes i blend it with a regular white white, and i usually put 1/2 of the F-pack in the primary as we both find these kits too sweet with the entire f pack as sweetening.
I have never bumped up the starting SG but will try that on my next one...
which will likely be the Acai - Raspberry these are $45 cdn here
i have done the strawberry, raspberry, banana-pineapple
and have heard good things about the green apple
and they are all good early drinkers :d
A lot of dealers reduce inventory over the winter as they are considered a summer cooler type wine, so now is the time to start looking for deals

Glad you jumped in here. Around here the prices dont go down! I made one and then decided that the rest needed more alc to them and everyone Ive done after that Ive upped the starting sg to 1.085-1.090 and so far they have all come out very nice.

I started this kit yesterday, and followed your advice Wade. 1.087 to start. A little over four pounds of sugar. The F-Pac seems to be quite large. Do you add the entire pack, or do you add to taste?

David

Latest posts

Back