RJ Spagnols Banana Pineapple Voignier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I started this kit yesterday, and followed your advice Wade. 1.087 to start. A little over four pounds of sugar. The F-Pac seems to be quite large. Do you add the entire pack, or do you add to taste?
David, if you don't add the entire F-pack, then you won't get the full pineapple banana flavour.

BTW, the F-packs in OB kits are usually 1.5 litres in size. (At least they were when I ran the store from 2001-2007.)

Steve

Did the Green apple, wildberry pomegranate and the Strawberry this year, adding 1/2 the F-pak upfront and boosting sg to 1.08/09 and they were also excellent wines. I have made quite a variety of these kits now and really like them made this way.
They end up as a nice year round wine with a hint of the fruit flavor rather than a low alcohol summer fruit cooler.

I've made a few of these kits including the Banana Pineapple.

On the peach chardonnay I made it as per the instructions and it was way too sweet. On the Pomegranate Zinfandel I only added half of the F pack and threw out the other half. It was good, my wife said it could have been a little sweeter but she still likes it a lot.

On this bananna pineapple voignier I added half of the F pack in the primary. It came out to about 11% alcohol. Then we added the rest of the F pack as directed. Neither of us really like it though. It is not sweet enough, and even when sweetened with conditioner in the glass it has a bit of a sour flavor that is not well balanced.

Maybe in a month it will smooth out. In the meantime I put a bottle in the blender with 1 banana and 6 strawberries and some splenda to sweeten and it was excellent! So at the very least maybe this is what we will do with it.

You should try not adding any f-pac up front and use just sugar and save the f-pac for adding afterwards. I use about 3 lbs of table sugar to bring the sg to about 1.085 and then add between 1/2 - 3/4 of the f-pack later. I actually usually use whats left to glaze a ham for cooking.

You should try not adding any f-pac up front and use just sugar and save the f-pac for adding afterwards. I use about 3 lbs of table sugar to bring the sg to about 1.085 and then add between 1/2 - 3/4 of the f-pack later. I actually usually use whats left to glaze a ham for cooking.

Thanks for the tip, I'll try that next time!

Latest posts

Back