Banana Oat: Messy and Reckless

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Brigitte I was at a local meadery this weekend and tried an experimental PB&J mead. He used powdered peanuts and concord juice and it turned out really well! He mentioned to be careful with the amount of peanut you add, apparently a few of his batches were not good.

Oh wow. Cool to know. Do you know if her added the peanut powder with primary or later on?

I’m intrigued... I may give the oat wine a go when I have a carboy freed up. Since you are an out of the box thinker.. I have been pondering using PB2.. powdered peanut butter in a wine. May need to start a new thread on it rather than keep a conversation going here. But PB and concord .. PB and chocolate.. might be interesting.. and less fat to worry with than using the real peanut ... any thoughts?
I've never gone that route, so I can't offer any useful technical advice as to powdered peanut butter, but I'd try something like that in a second. I know that something about the oil content in peanut products can spoil a batch, but there's supposed to be significantly less oil in the powdered stuff. I mean, it could be as simple as suctioning it off the top before racking, so I wouldn't advise against trying...and even if I did, you should try it anyway.

I've never gone that route, so I can't offer any useful technical advice as to powdered peanut butter, but I'd try something like that in a second. I know that something about the oil content in peanut products can spoil a batch, but there's supposed to be significantly less oil in the powdered stuff. I mean, it could be as simple as suctioning it off the top before racking, so I wouldn't advise against trying...and even if I did, you should try it anyway.

There isn’t much oil in the powdered PB. Only a gram or so in a serving. I put a little of the powdered goodness in a glass of wine and stirred it in ..
Taste great. Wine went cloudy of course. Lol

@Brigitte He wouldn't tell me, said he didn't want to reveal his secrets, which I understand haha

I understood totally. I wouldn’t give away secrets like that either..
I made a triple berry (raspberry blueberry blackberries). I had added cocoa nibs for about a week during secondary. When I bottled it I had 3 bottles of a chocolate liqueur. It is very sweet. A desert wine .. in 375 ml bottles. Well I took a glass and added about 1/4 tsp powdered PB and wow. The roundness of flavor and the gaming of the raspberry tartness was amazing. Considering dumping all those bottles back into a carboy and adding PB powder .. getting it to clear however. Hmmmm.

Latest posts

Back