Banana Kiwi recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canoe

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while, been making kit wines and am interested in making a fruit wine.

Most recipes for banana wine seem to include grape concentrate, which I don't have access to right now. No raisins either.

What I do have is about 25lbs of bananas, 6lbs of kiwis and about 20 liters of carboy space.

I looked on the web and couldn't find a wine recipe, but it seems to be a common dessert blend.

Anybody have any recommendations or an experienced guess for a recipe.

thanks
Bill

That should make a 5 gallon batch.
Destem and slice strawberries and put in a 5gallon cheese cloth paint strainer in a 7.5 gallon fermenting bucket. Peel and slice the kiwi and add to the strawberries. Add enough sugar (around 10#'s) to bring the gravity to 1.085.
Add k-meta and pectic enzyme and 5-6 tsp of acid blend. Wait 24 hours then add Cote des Blancs yeast.
Ferment dry. After you add the fining (k-meta and Sorbate you may consider to back sweeten

Last edited:
Hi, Tom

I have bananas, no strawberries. Can I follow that recipe substituting bananas for strawberries.

Cheers Bill

LOL !!
Yes but DOUBLE the acid blend

Last edited:
Well my wife just fetched the bananas home ond there's about 40lbs. (still only 6lbs of kiwi).
Will more bananas in a 20liter batch make better wine, or are we talking too much of a good thing.
Cheers
Bill

you can freeze the excess bananas for use at a later stage.. Or just make a banana wine with it.. we have three good recipes for banana wine in the recipe forum,

Allie

you can freeze the excess bananas for use at a later stage.. Or just make a banana wine with it.. we have three good recipes for banana wine in the recipe forum,

Allie

So I take it more is not better.:D
I've checked out the recipes but like most they call for concentrated grape juice. Not available where I live, or raisins, 2hrs away and not much choice. So hoping to make something that isn't a total loss without adding any of these 2 ingrediants.
Hoping the 6lbs of kiwi might help.

Cheers
Bill

Last edited:
With that much I would probaly make an all banana btach and a smaller mixed batch with bananas and Kiwis. I would probably do a 3 gallon batch with12 lbs of bananas and the 6lbs of Kiwi. I would add around 3 tsp of acid blend also. I wouldnt use concentrate on a banana wine as the bananas have enough body themselves.

Bill,

I have a couple of recipes here with raisins in and no concentrate..you could use a substitute for the raisins if you are keen to go ahead?

What dried fruit have you got in the cupboard.. if you're willing to experiment.. dates are good for body in wine.. inexpensive too.

Allie

There is also a recipe here..

http://homewinery.info/viewarticle.php?id=28

for a kiwifruit melomel that you could cut down to size , no raisins or concentrate required.. and you can play with the sugar content a bit .. if you don't have quite enough honey on hand.. you could substitute some brown sugar instead... ( of course it's still a melomel as long as there is honey in it..)

Allie

Bill,

I have a couple of recipes here with raisins in and no concentrate..you could use a substitute for the raisins if you are keen to go ahead?

What dried fruit have you got in the cupboard.. if you're willing to experiment.. dates are good for body in wine.. inexpensive too.

Allie

Hi, Allie

No dried fruits in the house, but I can get some dates in town.
Tell me more:h. Would I use a similar amount of dates, ie substitute 1lb of dates for 1lb of raisins.

Cheers Bill

Last edited:
hehehe.. what do you have in the house then?

frozen.. or tinned blackberries( in syrup)? I'm looking for sweet ( sugar content) and something to give it more flavour..

I would substitute the same weight in dates .. or you can use figs or prunes.. whatever is cheaper or that you have a preference for really. a couple of cans of blackberries in syrup, is always handy to have in the pantry, for last minute substitutions as well.

Allie

Last edited:
hehehe.. what do you have in the house then?

frozen.. or tinned blackberries( in syrup)? I'm looking for sweet ( sugar content) and something to give it more flavour..

Allie

Unfortunatly not much.

I'm pretty much stuck with the bananas 40lbs, kiwis 6lb, the dates I can get in town tommorrow, and lots of white sugar.
Oh, and about 6lbs of peach and nectarines, but from what I've read they don't have a lot of flavour.

Bill

Last edited:
I'm just thinking that the kiwifruit will make a nice wine on it's own if you substitute banana juice for the raisins.. it'll be a light table white though.. and would need backsweetening..

depends on whether you want to wait til tomorrow and get your dates or not.. you're going to need the dried fruit for the banana wine though.. especially that volume of it.

hmm and I just read that you only have 20 litres of carboy space? so some of this fruit is going into the freezer?..

Allie

Last edited:
I'm just thinking that the kiwifruit will make a nice wine on it's own if you substitute banana juice for the raisins.. it'll be a light table white though.. and would need backsweetening..

depends on whether you want to wait til tomorrow and get your dates or not.. you're going to need the dried fruit for the banana wine though.. especially that volume of it.

Allie

I'll wait till tomorrow and get the dates. Great tip, thanks.
Now with the dates I'm wondering if I need kiwi in the mix or not.

Yes I'll freeze what I don't use.

Bill

Last edited:
hehehe peaches and nectarines? They make a lovely wine on their own..

it sounds like you are going to have to make good use of the freezer and maybe pick up an extra carboy..

kiwi will add some acid to it.. which is a good thing.

Allie

hehehe peaches and nectarines? They make a lovely wine on their own..

it sounds like you are going to have to make good use of the freezer and maybe pick up an extra carboy..

kiwi will add some acid to it.. which is a good thing.

Allie

OK, kiwis back in. I read somewhere that citric acid (kiwis) would be good with the mallic of the bananas, but have no experience making fruit wine.

Bill

hehehe..

it's pretty easy to make fruit wines.. they often take a bit longer til drinkability though.

Allie

Uh oh.

So I came up with a concoction. 11kg bananas, sliced, simmered skins on and strained), 1.5kg kiwi, 1kg raisins. (found some). 20 liters total.
I used a recipe on J Kellers site with a similar mix (no kiwis), but more raisins. He used 3lbs sugar for 1 USgal (3.78 liter) mix. So a little over 5x the quantity for 20 liters comes to over 15lbs sugar.
So I though I would kick of with 6 kg suger, approx 13.2lbs and take it from there.
Right now at 90 degrees F I have a SG of 1.15.:? You couldn't drown in that primary if you tried.:D
It can't be just the sugar. Its got to be total dissolved or undissolved solid from the fruit causing this.
How do I measure/handle this.

Cheers Bill

Last edited:
Back