Banana Kiwi - recipe check please?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
I'd appreciate any input you have on my banana-kiwi recipe:

Five gallon batch

- Juice from 20 pounds of peeled bananas
- Juice from 9 pounds of peeled kiwi
- 1lb white raisins in fruit bag
- top to 6g with water
- sugar to 1.085 SG
- 5 tabs campden
- 5 tsp pectic enzyme
- 10 tsp acid blend

wait 24 hours

- add yeast starter (Cotes de Blanc)

Transfer to secondary at 1.010.

I would do an acid test first before adding the acid, other than that, it looks pretty good.

I started this today. I steam-juiced the bananas... got very little juice. So, I took the resuling pulp from the juicer and just put it in a fruit bag and dunked it into the must!

I started this today. I steam-juiced the bananas... got very little juice. So, I took the resuling pulp from the juicer and just put it in a fruit bag and dunked it into the must!

Good idea!

It's been almost two years since I tried this recipe.

After a couple of months in the carboy, it was an interesting wine with almost a chardonnay taste. After racking a few times, I decided to let it age.

Something happened during the next 18 months or so. I went to sample the wine tonight. It had an interesting banana smell and was strong, but not hot. It tasted... the best way to describe it is that it had an coffee flavor. It was not good at all. I back-sweetened a sample and I couldn't get away from that heavy taste.

I think this recipe is a bust. Maybe it's my fault, but I won't be making it again.

Back